Re: http://www.hmex.ao.net/AirWise/index.html

by "Demitrius" <simone(at)genesisnetwork.net>

 Date:  Sat, 25 Apr 1998 10:12:23 -0700
 To:  "Craig T. Harding" <guide(at)ao.net>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Craig,

Site critiqued:  http://www.hmex.ao.net/AirWise/index.html
Viewed on a P133, 640x480, 28.8, MSIE 4.0

>I have a site that is just in beta stage. It's a simple educational site
>where the customer required that it be in a magazine format with
>navigation at the bottom, so the visitor moves from page to page in
>order. I'm not normally happy about that but tried to work within that
>request.

As you well know, Craig, I've made a few websites with that format myself.
Though a few of our contemporaries voiced a concern, I've never had a
complaint from a visitor. It's one sure-fire way to get a visitor to go
through every page - assuming they stick around (they may not *read* the
page, but they do have to go through it).

>I am interested in general impact, graphic design, and if it looks ok in
>other browsers and different platforms.

General impact is one of a clean, straightforward layout. IMO, I'd modify
the logo2.jpg. I'm guessing you used Eye Candy to create the effect. If so,
I would back off on the Bevel Width (pixels), down to around 3 or so. Right
now, IMO it looks too "hard". Also, this is a perfect candidate for a GIF
format with an optimized color palette, of course.

>I'm also particularly interested in the use of Veranda typeface. I used
><FONT FACE="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">. This is the first time using
>Veranda and I would be interested in the response. I have been reading
>that it's especially designed and hinted for web use.

I routinely use this font, although I'll use "Verdana, Geneva" instead of
the ones you use. My reason? I've noticed that websites created by Mac
people, on another list I belong to, do it that way. As I understand it,
although I could be wrong, Arial and Verdana come with Windows 95. But most
Macs, however, do not have them. For that reason, Geneva is a good
substitute for Verdana and Helvetica is good for Arial.

Your site loaded quickly. You mentioned that it is in beta, so I'll assume
you're going to put full contact information on every page as you always do.
Also, are you going to include a forms based contact page, or are you going
to keep that mailto: link? If you do keep it, I'd be interested in how much
activity you get from it. Just curious.

Good job.

Best,
Demitrius >I<