Re: Therapist site

by "Wendy Peck" <wpeck(at)wpeck.com>

 Date:  Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:09:06 -0500
 To:  "Ken Lanxner" <klanxner(at)home.com>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ken,

Great looking site, but slow loading. I am on a dialup, 21k most times.
That's all I can get where I live and the photos took a fairly long time. I
checked the sizes and they are quite large. For example, the one named
"girl" on an interior page is over 17k right now. I brought it into
Photoshop and with Save for Web medium setting, it went down to barely 9k.

I have no idea what you are using, but that load time on every shot is
enough to send someone like me to the next site. And there are more of us
than you might imagine caught with no other options. There is a program
called Image Optimizer that can be downloaded for a free trial, and is only
$40 to buy. It even does regional compression on jpgs, which lets you keep
important things crisp, and compress the heck out of other areas. Find it at
http://xat.com. I have a write up on it in a tutorial at
http://productiongraphics.com/column31/7.html.

I love the band across the middle of the pages, with the photos, and her
name, but you would get better than a 50% reduction in the total size if you
sliced that up and saved some as gif and some as jpg. The photo and texture
is really tough on gif file size. Plus, the blank areas would be darn near
free, since you could reduce the number of colours severely. There is a free
slicing program called Shoestring Picture Dicer at
http://www.ziplink.net/~shoestring/dicer01.htm. It does a terrific job if
you do not have that in your graphic software.

I hope you do not mind me coming down on this, but you do have a great site
there, and I would think that the site owner would want to make it an easy
place to visit for a wide variety of people - including those with slow
connections and low patience level.

Wendy

New Article 08/18: Photoshop 6 Working Review
with Wendy Peck at http://productiongraphics.com

Wendy Peck http://wpeck.com
Marketing solutions through technology