Re: The Digital Speech Project

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:41:36 -0800
 To:  "Rajnish Bhaskar" <r.bhaskar(at)compserv.gla.ac.uk>,
<jonathanjo(at)mindspring.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Firstly, I don't like the grey navigation bar.  I know that it's a=20
> subjective opinion (aren't they all :o)  ), but it looks drab and=20
> uninspiring to me.  How about a colour similar to the blue that you=20
> use for the banner?

There's a banner graphic on that page that's meant to be there? Yikes! =
There is! And it's called BANNER!

Okay people... Obviously this is gonna irritate a lot of people, but =
it's not my doing... Thanks to the questionable and usually =
highly-annoying practices of web ads, the latest version of one of the =
best personal firewall products, ZONE ALARM PRO 3.0, has the ability to =
BLOCK ADS. One of the settings is to block ALL BANNER ads, which I of =
course enabled the second I found it could do it. I know I'm not the =
only person who will do this, either, or the feature would not have been =
introduced.

Now, I can't say that the way ZAP3 blocks ads is the smartest... I've =
now learned from TWO different sites on this list that it blocks ads =
based at least in part on the name of the image. This behaviour also =
blocked two benign images for these sites, simply because the image =
names included the name "banner" in them. This means that you gotta stop =
naming parts of your site's design graphics "banner." Period. Unless of =
course it serves no purpose to be there, in which case it probably =
shouldn't. ZAP3 was released just Monday, so these problems I'm seeing =
are likely only the tip of the iceburg as more and more people install =
it, find that feature and jump at the chance for getting rid of those =
pesky and amazingly stupid "punch the monkey" or "x10" ads. If by =
coincidence ZoneAlarm is blocking part of your site, then you either =
gotta change your site, or expect people to be wondering what the point =
of the GIANT BLANK SPOT in your site's design is for...

If you don't have ZAP3, download the trial (or buy it) -- =
www.zonealarm.com -- and see for yourself what it's adblocker is doing =
to your sites. You might be surprised. And shocked.

Good luck to all,
Kehvan M. Zydhek

BTW: I have nothing whatsoever to do with ZoneLabs/ZoneAlarm, other than =
just happen to be one of MILLIONS of users of it.

:: NORTON ANTI-VIRUS 2002 scanned this email prior to sending. It is =
free
:: of any known embedded or attached viruses, trojans, or internet =
worms.

----- Original Message -----=20