Re: School site

by "Peter Schonefeld" <peter.schonefeld(at)bigpond.com>

 Date:  Thu, 21 Sep 2000 20:39:11 +1000
 To:  Steve Campbell <camsoccer(at)worldnet.att.net>
 Cc:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Steve,

Win98, IE5, Res: 1152*864*32, Dial-up Connection.

I would like to add a couple of comments about your site.

1.  As Susan described your page is too large.  I would certainly
remove all of the items from the first page that are not absolutely
necessary.  I need to scroll down about two screens to get the
really important links.  IMHO all of your links should be viewable
without user intervention.

2. Use the ALT element in image tags - i'm sure you've seen that
comment on this list before :)

3. I think you would like experimenting with Cascading Style
Sheets, this would help to give your page a consistent look and
feel. See http://www.htmlhelp.com

4. Have you considered putting your code through a validation
service? http://validator.w3.org/ is a good one.  You will need to
add a special doctype comment to the top of your page before the
HTML tag...  <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">

(if that line did not view then... see
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/doctype.html )

> Before you comment please read the "How to Use This Site" page to
> understand the purposes we are trying to achieve.

I think that in a good site you should not have to read about how to
get the most out of the site - through the use of effective navigation
the best way to use the site should be apparent to the user -  I
would change "How to Use This Site" to an "About this Site" link.

Overall, I think that your site is an asset to the school and i'm sure
the students and their parents would agree.

Best of Luck
Peter Schonefeld
Web Designer
http://digtalcraft.com.au