Re: initial impressions?

by "Queen Dido" <romanbtch(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Sun, 28 Dec 1997 13:52:36 PST
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org,
cmj(at)airmail.net
  todo: View Thread, Original
You know... the page looks pretty sharp.. but it reminds me of the games
my 10 year old sister plays..tons of colors and animation. Also, it
takes forever to load, unless you're running a T1; most of us are stuck
with 28.8 modems ;) it's like... you have all these frames, and until
they finish loading, someone will either get bored and move on, or they
will be so sick of waiting that they will have nothing nice to say. See
if you can find a quicker way of loading all that stuff; remember, your
audience is what's important =)

> [...]
>support frames. If you are occuring problems, I suggest you get with
the
>times and either upgrade your monitor or get a superior browser like
>Netscape.
></QUOTE>
>
>This statement is not part of your parody ... it's a defining
statement.  A
>statement that shows what inexperience and irresponsibility can do to
the
>perception of the author.
>
>>P.S. I know it's slow loading and the buttons all do the same thing; i
>>havent begun to work on this aspect yet :)
>>
>Then there is a problem ... navigation should have been the foremost
>thought when designing your site.  Navigation is an integral part of
any
>website and although you've provided the framed portion to aid this, it
is
>sorely lacking in the core fundamentals of navigation as a whole.
>
>Now let's comment on the content of the site and the overall impression
>once completely traveled:
>
>In my opinion, your site reflects on issues that have been toiled over
for
>ages ... your presentation of those issues would have me departing your
>site with undue haste.  The most troublesome was the "Why HTML Sucks"
>section.  I found this area of your site to be very irresponsible and
>immature, albeit a parody.
>
>Your explanations of the tags that, in your words, suck ... lead me to
>believe that you haven't fully grasped the understanding of the process
>that took place in the development of the standards of HTML.
>
>Many of the tags that you mention are either defunct or are being
>deprecated.  Why harp on them?  Other tags that are very useful and do
have
>there place in the code you belittle because of what you think.  You
have
>the right to your own opinion, but can you honestly say that what you
think
>hasn't been already discussed by professionals such as the W3C?
>
>You are very insulting to the HTML community by displaying such
rubbish.
>After reading the prologue, I find that you not only think that the
tags
>are useless, but feel ill regards towards the people that use them.
>
><QUOTE>
>This is a list of all of the most useless tags in HTML. If you use
them,
>then you're running a health risk. You just might be turning into a
moron.
></QUOTE>
>
>HTML is not set in stone ... it is evolving ... you shouldn't down-play
>that fact.
>
>My impression is that your site is a parody ... there is nothing wrong
with
>that.  But the realism with regard to what you say about the actual
HTML
>would, in my opinion, sway others to perceive this as fact.  I actually
>found the section "Tags that would rule" quite humorous.
>
>All in all, your site has merit on some levels ... the design choice is
>perhaps less than desired ... your content is witty at times ... and
your
>graphics are amicable at best.
>
>I would suggest a disclaimer of sorts explaining the true nature of the
>site so as not to lead others to believe the sites' content is based
upon
>fact.  Others that visit, ones not as experienced, would tend to
believe
>your antics as truth, resulting in them making the same mistakes that
more
>experienced developers had to endure during the early stages of
Internet