Re: Critique of a commercial site

by "Collin Lim" <collinlim(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Sat, 03 Jan 1998 23:06:47 PST
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

-  It's obvious that you have designed the site to be viewed with
800x600 based on what I saw in the Rates page, where you force the word
"images" under Premiere to wrap.  That causes the word placement to be
off when viewed with any other resolution.  Try it and you'll see what I
mean.

-  I would remove the Construction image.  IMHO, it looks too tacky.
Does that mean your viewers shouldn't take your page seriously because
of the warning sign?  <JK>

-  Wow!  Maybe this is none of my business, but I think your rate is way
too low.  You must not be doing this as a sole income.  Forgive me for
intruding.  I'm just curious.

-  The logo image can be improved.  Judging by one of the sites you did,
you have the capability to generate good graphics.  Why not do one for
yourself.  I think the logo is a little too big.  Color coordination
with the background is not very good.  The background is heavily
textured, but the words are non-textured, which yields a two-dimentional
image on a 3-D background, not logical.  The transition from the logo to
the background looks disconnected.  Maybe a border or drop shadow would
help.

-  The navigation bar is well done.  I like the color, just too bad it
doesn't go with the logo.  I think it would look nicer if you make the
black borders transparent.

-  I also like the background color and pattern.

-  Seems like the contents of the Client page and the Portfolio page are
the same.  Why not combine them?

-  In the Services page, all your sub-titles are underscored.  That
usually mean links.  I tried to click on one of them and nothing
happens.  I would un-underscore them to avoid confusing the viewers.

-  In your introduction, you said "At PS Web Design you pay for the
services you get."  What are you trying to say?  To me, it doesn't say a
whole lot.  Don't we all pay for the services we get?  Are you trying to
say "At PS Web Design you get what you pay for."?  If that's the case,
since your rate is so low, that might lead the viewers to think they
can't expect good services?  I'd recommend you rephrase the intro so
that the viewers don't have to guess what you're trying to say.

Regards.

-Collin