Re: Revision of Site.

by "Queen Dido" <romanbtch(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Sun, 04 Jan 1998 15:11:57 PST
 To:  jclove(at)earthlink.net
 Cc:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Please view and critique this site revision.
>Note use of commercial sound (Beatnik).
>Images custom generated, too long of load time?
>Background versus white, or???
>Ease of navigation, etc.
>Thanks!
>http://home.earthlink.net/~jclove/grace.htm

Ok here I go, P166, 32MB RAM, 28.8 connect, 800x600 and 640x480, NN3.01
and NCSA Mosaic 3.0. Everything below IMHO.

800x600

-The background makes everything hard to see. I'd stick to white, or
black.

-First impression.. why so many frames? the flashing logo on the top
frame made me dizzy after a while.. frames at the bottom for navigation
are not a bad idea, but that top frame doesn't need to be there.

-I opened mosaic. This is what I got.

This page is designed to be viewed by a browser which supports
Netscape's Frames extension.

This text will be shown by browsers which do not support the Frames
extension.

[Image]

Ouch. You are not giving an alternative (it's frames or nothing, buddy),
and well truth is many people hate frames. Frames are not necessarily
better, I personally prefer them for navigation, but many people don't.
And well people using graphical browsers can't see anything. I mean,
you're saying "either have a top of the line browser or get lost". Ouch.
Try making a no-frames version, or put something else between the
<noframes> tag.. I mean, it doesn't say much about you as a designer if
you're going to exclude a lot of people.

600x480

-The top frame doesn't scroll, which is a good thing... only that the
logo is cut short. I can see "The Grace Knot Wo".. doesn't look very
appealing. I'd make the logo smaller.. it's too long.

-The text on the bottom frame is wayyyyyyyy at the bottom.. and where it
says company vision, i can only see the top half of the phrase.. the
other stuff is hidden under the browser's edge. Doesn't seem well
aligned there..

Overall

The information is well presented.. I like having the navigation at the
bottom, with all links on top.. it works well. However, I really think
the top frame is unnecessary.. also, it doesn't need to be animated...
when it fades out it gives the page a lack of presence..

Also, the main page seems to lack content, maybe because of how it's
presented. See if you can make it a bit more.. "full"..

But don't forget to make a no-frames "version".. the text you have on
there would make more than one person very irritated...

Good Luck

-Nat

Feel free to visit

http://www.ben2.ucla.edu/~nate/