Re: what's the thing against black backgrounds?

by "Collin Lim" <collinlim(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Tue, 21 Apr 1998 16:14:26 PDT
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Lisa:
In your case, I'll vote for black over the blue pattern.
-Collin
=========================
I picked a black background for my site because I thought any other
color/pattern would make the pictures appear like they were taped on,
like
a scapbook.  Just out of curiousity, I changed the background on one of
the
pages in my site from black to one of my favorites.  Now that I've done
that, would those who think black is to be avoided please check out my
main
page for example of black and then look at the page titled Order Nascar
Gifts & Collectibles.  All this talk about black has got me questioning
my
judgment.  Please let me know which is more appealing to the eyes.
Thanks!
Lisa
whirrett(at)netins.net
http://www.angelfire.com/hi/WilcoxGrabnerRacing

----------
> From: Matthew Breault <meta(at)cyberzone.net>
> To: wfraser(at)sympatico.ca; HWG-CRITIQUE <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
> Subject: Re: what's the thing against black backgrounds?
> Date: Tuesday, April 21, 1998 2:30 PM
>
> I agree with both Mike and Wendy, as a designer, I find that most
customers
> want a black background, hoping to have their sites lend a noir,
gothic
feel.
> (I must also mention my average customer is under 21 and male.)  I
myself
did
> my business's homepage with a blackbackground and I feel it looks
better
than
> if it had had a white bgcolor.  I think that it not an universally bad
thing if
> people have black bgcolors, it is just that geocities and tripod
newbie
have
> made it a habit of using a black background on a poorly
constructed/designed
> personal homepage. So rise up against those who would oppress your
#000000
> usage! (grin)
>
>     -Matt Breault
> _________________________________
> Meta Graphica.
> Graphic / Web Design.
> Internet site:
> http://www.koolworldweb.com/demon
> _________________________________
>
> Wendy Fraser wrote:
>
> > I definitely agree.  I think the problem is that for the longest
time
black
> > backgrounds were all the rage.  Everyone used them.  I have designed
site
(http://www3.sympatico.ca/dfraser).
> >  Their graphics and logo's include a night sky in the middle of a
> > lightening storm.  Black was definitely the only option here!  Quake
II
> > sites, the same thing as Mike mentioned.
> >
> > However, I do not consider Quake II sites or a local rock band a
"true"
> > corporate business site.  I would not use a black background on a
business
> > site and even try to stay away from white.  Interesting discussion.
My
> > students ask about background colors all the time!
> >
> > Wendy Fraser
> > Director,
> > BWM Virtual Innovations
> > Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
> >
> > On Tuesday, April 21, 1998 1:36 PM, mike jackson
[SMTP:mjackson(at)efn.org]
> > wrote:
> > > maybe this is off-topic, and if it is then i apologize.
> > >
> > > <SOAPBOX>
> > >
> > > i've noticed a lot of critiques saying black backgrounds look
amateurish.
> > > why? why is one color that bad?
> > >
> > > okay, i can understand that many people will use one color as a
crutch,
> > > because it could be easier to use black rather than, say, bright
neon
> > pink.
> > > but what if black just fits the motif of the site, and you don't
want
> > > have a background graphic cluddering up things? i've designed
sites
with
(http://www.concentric.net/~lemming9/whitedragon.html),