Re: Critique, Please

by Vanessa Page <promise_20(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:58:14 -0800 (PST)
 To:  Michael Channing wilson <webmaster(at)lucidmind.com>
 Cc:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
LOL now thats a critique. Way to go. I haven't said anything cause I
thought man this is a silly waste of time and quite frankly its
takeing up mailbox space lol. Way to go Micheal!
Vanessa
http://www2.crosswinds.net/dallas/~lanpages/index.html
By the way don't even look at my page not close to finished lol

---Michael Channing wilson <webmaster(at)lucidmind.com> wrote:

> [...]
> ideas for design I will be happy to lend you a hand, as time permits,
> but we will definitely miss the January 1st goal for launch. I have a
> few cool ideas for ya.
>
> 2-I would keep the text navigation at the bottom of each page
> consistent.
>
> 3-The content is great! It is a proven fact that the more information
> you provide your potential customers with, the better your chances for
> closing a deal. Excellent marketing strategy. Never be afraid to give
> away a few tidbits of useful information.
>
> 4-Reduce the amount of info in the pricing area. You really don't need
> to quote a standard price for every little item you can provide. Be
> generalistic. Offer additional services on a "per project basis",
> ranging from $X.xx to $X.xx. Sometimes you can overload a visitor
> sensors with to many $$$$ signs. Your prices should not be as
important
> as the service you provide. Use that space to instill value in the
added
> services. Unlike some butt head on this list, I forget his name, I
feel
> that package pricing is not really a "bad thing" to offer. Most design
> firms base there prices on an amount per designed page + any services
> outside the realm of standard or general design + a bit of pad for the
> unknown. Besides we don't all deal with large corporations that have
net
> experience and know what they want and many small business just really
> want a place on the Net to call a home page. Package pricing come in
> real handy for them. They know they can get such-n-such for $X.xx and
> then they decide how to best utilize there usually limited budget.
>
> 5-I ran into 2 separate pages dealing with web hosting. Combine these
> pages into one.
>
> 6-Use the whit space to the left of you tables on the different
pages to
> offer a navigation system that stands out a bit more than the very
small
> text links at the bottom of the page. Nice use of graphics here will
> spice the page up a bit.
>
> 7-loose the splash page. It only gives you access to a small portion
of
> the site and doesn't look very good. I think what you need is to tap
the
> creative side of you brain a bit and start over. When I approach a
> project that will be using graphics to add impact to the message, I
try
> to visualize what I want before I ever start work. Use a drawing pad
and
> sketch out a few possible scenarios, install some type of flow chart
> software on your system and use it to create an outline of the site
> showing what each page will contain and what pages it will be linked
to.
> Try and make the message of the site clear with only the graphics.
If a
> [...]
> Sortta like yours and mine.
>

> 6. The annoying dog clip art animation.
> Whatever...
>
> 8. The amateur copy.
> The copy was far from amateur in fact you can't even keep from
bitching
> on your own site. "design studios
>       that offer 'web design packages' are
>       simply glossing over a dysfunctional
>       product. With all due respect, we take
>       issue with those who think they can
>       prefabricate your Internet presence and
>       hang a price tag on it before they have
>       even met you! "
>

> 9. The absurdity of 'offering packages'.  Prefabricated sites for
> clients whose
> needs you don't even know and being presumptious enough to think your
> 'packages'
> accomodate all.
>
> see above
>

> 10. The annoying dog at the bottom of the page.
>
> you said that already
>

> 11. No URLS for any of the supposed testimonials.
>
> It's not really needed... those will come on the samples page
>
> 12. Worrying about validating code that is too simple for a validater.
> Yet you used Dreamweaver to create every part of your site including
the
> javascript mouseovers. Get real Killian. Your nothing but a graphics
> designer who has learned to use a WYSIWYG editor, so stop acting like
> your the most electrifying thing to ever happen to web design, because
> your not even close.
>
> Kynn Barlett & Killian-
>
> >1. The tacky clipart animations are obnoxious.
>
> Agreed.  The worst thing about the little dog is that's cliche'd;
> I'd seen it a hundred times and it was not thrilling those times.
>

> 100 out of 20 million doesn't seem too bad...and I've scoped out a few
> of Kynn's sites myself. Don't throw stones Bub.
>
> Bottom line Killian, your good at what ya do for the most part. I
still
> think your site is beat, but when I gave you my opinnion on it a
week or
> so ago at least I was not rude. I was straight with you, but I felt no
> need to use extra adjectives to colorize my opinnion. This list is in
> place to help people learn how to improve their work by offering it
on a
> platter for our opinions, not to help you boost your already over
> inflated ego.
>
> Later,

> Starr Wolf wrote:
> >
> > Hi Guys:
> >
> > Okay, here ya go.
> >
> > First, thanks to all who gave me private critiques yesterday. I
incorporated
> > many of your recommendations.
> >
> > Everyone, please go to: http://www.starrwolf.com and give it the go.
>
> --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --
> Michael Channing Wilson
> Digicom Design
> 1521 Browns ave
> Charlotte, NC 28208
> It seems my hypocrisy knows no bounds...

=== message truncated ===

==
How do I respon to Jesus, the King?
Do I worship Him? Do I celebrate His birth, life, death, and
ressurection? What do i bring to give to Him? Bring the gift to Jesus in your prayer,
worship or service. Read Mathew 2:1-23