Re: Non-commercial site

by Draconarius Webmaster <draconarius(at)pcgeek.net>

 Date:  13 Nov 1999 10:41:10 -0800
 To:  hwg-critique(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
You really need to cut down on the size of those graphics files - they total over 140Kb just on that one page. Perhaps you could save them at a slightly lower quality.

I took a closer look at the 'Members' button and found that it is 338 by 62 pixels and you are forcing it to display at 249 by 46. Just by rescaling in a graphics program you would save quite a few bytes there.

None of the images have ALT tags either, so any visitors who cannot or don't display graphics will see a completely blank page.

The layout is pretty good at lower resolutions, but at more than 800 by 600 with the browser window full screen the positioning goes way off. I am not sure the buttons should be different widths like that either - it looks a little strange.

I was using IE4 and NN4.7 with a screen resolution of 1024 by 768 in 65,000 colours.