RE: Please critique new Scanalytics site

by Complex <complex_hwg(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:55:42 -0700 (PDT)
 To:  Steve Devoti <steve.devoti(at)worldnet.att.net>,
HWG Critique <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
> From a visual point of view, I think your site could use a little
> more
> white space - more margin on the sides and more variation in font
> size.
> I think it is all a little too big. The box on the left is right on
> the
> left margin of the window.  I can barely see the red line on that
> side.
<snip>

> Lori

White space. Can do. How much do you prefer to leave on either side?
I'm not going to do a Yahoo or Apple, and fix my width to within 640
px, but I'm open to suggestions.

The font too big: I assume, therefore, that you're looking at this on a
PC. How do I make the font look reasonable on both Mac and PC? I've got
some ideas, but I need to experiment before inflicting my ideas on the
browsers. I don't know if my life has been made more difficult or more
easy by the appearance of Mac browsers that display stuff at 96 dpi by
default. I think it's Netscape 7/Mac that let me define the resolution
myself, so now I'm displaying everything at 81 dpi. %-)
    In the meanwhile, I figured that too big was better than too small
(which is my usual problem with text on Windows browsers). But I'll get
cracking on this.

The box: yeah, you're right. I'll fix that.

Do you think the logo, company name, and Search box need more red
space?

Also, the "Search" link in the menu bar actually links to the Advanced
Search page, as opposed to the simple Search field in the red area.
Should I label it "Adv'd Search", or is "Search" better? ("Advanced
Search" would just be too long.)

many thanks,
complex

=====
Note:  Any HTML I've typed probably contains
spaces or periods to break it in HTML-capable mail readers.
(e.g.   <.H1>Like This< /H1>  )