Re: what's the thing against black backgrounds?

by Rebecca <prikura(at)best.com>

 Date:  Wed, 22 Apr 1998 21:00:13 -0700
 To:  "hwg critique list" <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>okay, i can understand that many people will use one color as a crutch,
>because it could be easier to use black rather than, say, bright neon pink.
>but what if black just fits the motif of the site, and you don't want to
>have a background graphic cluddering up things? i've designed sites with
>black backgrounds (http://www.concentric.net/~lemming9/whitedragon.html),
>and i wouldn't want it any other way. one person said that a black
>background on a Quake II site was amateurish. why? black is one of the best
>colors to typify Quake II (even the box is black!).

What's wrong with bright neon pink?

I use a black background on my site because I want the text to stand out more.

I like using purple [for graphic logos - title headers & buttons] and they
looks a lot better on a black background than on a white background.
Anyway, since I didn't want to use purple text - it would be too hard; or
white text - because it wouldn't have complemented the purple logos; I
ended up with pink text with bright pink text for links.  [It's not neon
though.]

I'm still redecorating - so no critiquing.

Rebecca

MonsterWeb - http://www.monsterweb.simplenet.com
Leonardo by Request - http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Boulevard/5860/
Plague 5 -  http://www.monsterweb.simplenet.com/plagued/