Re: Finally a critique for me, if you will.... http://www.iwaynet.net/~alaser

by "Chuck McGee, Jr." <cmj(at)airmail.net>

 Date:  Tue, 09 Dec 1997 16:13:42 -0600
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:28 PM 1/1/90 -0500, Alan J. Laser wrote:
>I've been lurking for a little bit and would now like a critique on my
>peronsal site @ http://www.iwaynet.net/~alaser and (if you have the time)
>
>Site Purpose: None, really... peronsal info and so forth.  Plus some fun, I
>hope, for all involved.
On a personal site, much goes by the wayside in regards to the design and
standardization.  As you said ... personal info, fun and so forth.  But,
when you have your resume on the site requesting work in the web design
field ... an element of professionalism would go a long way toward
achieving that goal..

Below is what I read before I saw your resume, right before it actually.

<LINK>Internet Tools</LINK>
 I get sick of going to Yahoo every time I want to look for pornography, so
I put this page together.

As the personal tastes of another shouldn't make for hasty decisions when
looking for professional staff, the above does lend itself to immaturity
and irresponsibility.  Additionally, I could not figure out the
relationship between Yahoo and porno with a link to Internet Tools.

Perhaps you should rephrase your statement to read ...

<LINK>Internet Tools</LINK>
A collaboration of search engines to better seek out what one might be
looking for.

Personally, such display would not be helpful in the hiring process.

Additionally, on your portfolio page ... your method of describing your
clients ... limited as they were, was not very courteous ... as a matter of
fact ... I found it difficult to believe that there were actually any
clients at all ... at least the paying kind anyway.  Straighten it up a bit
and get a bit more professional in the content and you could receive a
better impression.  The actual HTML isn't that bad ... it's the impression
you gave me that might deter me from hiring.

That's my opinion ...
cmj