Re: Site for Review

by "Chuck McGee, Jr." <cmj(at)airmail.net>

 Date:  Tue, 09 Dec 1997 17:43:27 -0600
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:19 PM 12/9/96 +0530, Sandeep Khade wrote:

>The address is:
>http://www.business-india.com/mystic
>
>And yes, currently the site is best viewed on the latest versions of
>browsers. Of course, the site would be available in different flavors so
>as to be seen by most the browsers and their respective versions. But
>those are still under construction.
>
>And please mention the regular things in your response like:
>1. Your OS = win95
>2. Browser & its version = NC4.04 & NS3.01
>3. Screen resolution = 2048x768 (sized at about 910x750)
>4. Download time = t1
>5. Overall appeal
>6. Any other

I don't really see the need for the javascript implementation at this time
other than to show a little flare.  Your pages are not robust enough to
warrant the exclusion of the non-javascript viewers.  To present me with a
window that says that I have to have a capable browser and then require me
to press enter only to get there is unnecessary and slight.  Javascript
detection is available for those browsers that are capable and you can send
them into the site directly.

As far as what you have done thus far, NS3.01 is capable of viewing your
site, you should also include this if you feel the need to segregate.  Were
I a NS3.01 user, I would probably still hit enter, but what if I weren't so
inclined ... you tell me that I can't so I won't ... that doesn't seem to
practical ... most especially if you are claiming to be in the business of
web design and want to gather clientele.

Your designing statement has plenty of merit and is true by the very nature
of the Internet.  But your own site does not reflect that image very well
... impression is one of your key selling points ... impress the audience
by providing a global presence first, then work your way into the high-end
aspects of the programming and presentational techniques, not the other way
around.

Visiting your showcase says that you've started business in January 1998,
that's not a problem if you are actually getting prepared and submitted
your critique request in advance of that .... But I think that you should
also make sure that the copyright line does not reflect 1997,1998 as there
is a conflict.

Overall, I liked the presentation.  It is really good work.  I wouldn't
have a problem considering you for possible employ.  One thing I did
notice, your English is quite well .... but, I can never understand why
people across the Atlantic that converse in the second language of English
always spell organization with an "s" [organisation] <G>

Now on to the HTML
Yes, I peeked into the code.  I hope you didn't think that having toolbar=0
scrollbar=0, and menubar=0 would keep anyone in the know out of your
source.  If so, then I'm sorry .... it is possible.

I would use hex number to represent the colors in your <FONT> and I would
probably enclose the entire content in one tag rather than encasing each
sentence or paragraph with the same tag.  Also, it might be helpful were
you to add face alternatives for those who do not use Arial ... i.e. macs

On your contact form page, there are a few structural errors and extraneous
tags ... nothing that will crash a machine, but from a DOCType perspective
... they are incorrect.  Also ... some sort of form verification would keep
your in-box free from empty submissions.

The lower frame which holds the banner is using browser specifiics in the
body tag .... FYI

And last but not least ... even though you are using the onmouseover
events, ALT="something" could prove benificial were someone visiting with
javascript off and needing help with navigation.

I hope this is what you were looking for when you submitted your
request....;-).

Good Luck,
cmj

------------Web Site Development & Consulting-----------
Chuck McGee, Jr.	http://web2.airmail.net/cmj/
---------------Member of HTML Writers Guild----------------
  < List Guide - Critique / Sr. List Guide - Theory >