Re: HTML Pages

by "Michael B. Clark" <mclark(at)homemail.com>

 Date:  Thu, 18 Dec 1997 12:39:07 -0500
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  cosmos33(at)ilink.nis.za
  todo: View Thread, Original

Hello,

Comments:

1. It is a _bad_ thing to lace your page with keywords. Some search
engines penalize you for doing that. I discovered them by printing
your page. The only thing I got was your blue and black text. I
really don't like black backgrounds, and one of the reasons is that
it is hard to print them out.

2. On the pages with downloadable stuff, is the size mentioned the
compressed or uncompressed size?

3. "seperately" is misspelled on pages.html .

4. On the tutorial, I don't know if I would suggest that people save
their .HTML files with an extension of .HML . Most people are using
PC's and Mac's and more than likely their software will want to see
*.HTML or *.HTM in the file open dialog box.

5. Validate your pages. For more information check out
http://www.hwg.org/resources/useful.html#2.0 .

6. On the editor.html page, nothing worked for me since I have
javascript turned off. Maybe add a note that mentions that javascript
is required.

7. Since underlines usually mean a link, remove the underlines on the
tutorial page section names. Bold, or even a heading (<H1>..</H1>)
would be better.

8. The subject matter is a good idea for starting out, but there are
a ton of HTML tutorials type pages out there. Why don't you do the
same thing with another subject? Maybe a hobby, or a group/club
you're a member of.

I like the pages. Keep up the good work.

Viewed/surfed with:  Netscape Navigator 3.0 Gold; 28.8 modem; Windows

95; 800x600x256 colors; java and javascript turned off.

Michael