Re: First Commerical Site (request critique)

by Bev Parks <cloudbow(at)primenet.com>

 Date:  Sun, 01 Mar 1998 13:58:51 -0700
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>> http://www.primenet.com/~dsrtwide/index.html
>>please critique the site for speed, ease of navagation and infomation.

Hi, Jim.

The speed on all pages was reasonably fast, except for the examples page.
That's to be expected with all the pics, but it wasn't too bad.

Navigation can use some improvement. It is a small site and it would be
easy to put a little text menu at the top and bottom of every page. That
way visitors don't have to keep jumping back to the home page in order to
go to another page. Something simple like the following would be fine:

             Home | Information | Examples | Specials

The information on the front page was a little confusing. I didn't know
what KIND of cabling the company did until I clicked on the Information
link. Actually, I think the info on the Information page (probably without
the photograph of the scope) would be more appropriate for the front page
than the marketing-speak that is there now. Move the marketing-speak to a
sub-page and call it "Business Philosophy" or something.

I don't like the format of having all the text centered. I'm afraid that
looks amateurish. The text also seems a bit larger than it needs to be.

I like the background. Reminds me of rattlesnake skin.

Hate the "under construction" look of those black and yellow horizontal
rules. They don't fit with the overall feel of the site at all.

Also, why is the cable company offering web design services? That was
*very* confusing to me. (Click on Web Page Design between the two ugly
rules.) This is especially so when right below that it says that the web
page was created by Screaming Hyena Productions. Are they the same company?

Someone else mentioned that maybe a graphic of a cactus or something was
missing from the home page. I tend to agree. Something simple with a desert
theme would brighten the page up some. But at the same time, any old piece
of cactus clip art thrown up there will look just like that: that any old
piece of cactus clip art was thrown up there. You gotta be careful about
choosing something that blends well with the background and with the font
used for the company name.

Well, that's all I've got for now. Good luck!

Viewing with...
Win 95; Netscape 4.04, default font Souvenir Lt BT, 12 pt;
28.8 dial-up connection; 17-inch monitor, 1024 x 768.

Bev Parks  =^.^=  cloudbow(at)primenet.com
http://www.cloudbow.com
http://www.bayside.net/users/cbsites/