Review: World of Gor (was Re: Critique needed)

by "Chuck McGee, Jr." <cmj(at)airmail.net>

 Date:  Sat, 09 May 1998 12:15:29 -0500
 To:  "Dave DiNardo" <tarl_cabot(at)geocities.com>
 Cc:  "hwg critique list" <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:14 PM 5/8/98 -0700, Dave DiNardo wrote:

Just put up a near completed site at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Rampart/2833

Could you please take a look and let me know where I need improvement...
<<<<

C'mon David . ...  It would save you considerable amounts of time and grief
were you to check out the archives before you submit a critique.  First
check the experimental "full-text search"
[http://sunsite.unc.edu/hwg-bin/query/fulltext] to find a good thread, then
use the header search [http://sunsite.unc.edu/hwg-bin/query] on the topic
to gather the thread in mass and read the entire thread for reference.

BTW ... I've also removed the formatted text from the original post as this
is discouraged by the Guild.

Recommended Searches:
* Dark Backgrounds: Key Search 1:
http://sunsite.unc.edu/hwg-bin/browse?Aa9fK5Mb6iK

* Dark Text - Key Search 2:
http://sunsite.unc.edu/hwg-bin/bs?text=Dark+Text

* Image Sizes - Key Search 3:
http://sunsite.unc.edu/hwg-bin/browse?AalVX11c6iK

* Proper Image Reduction - Key Search 4:
a - http://sunsite.unc.edu/hwg-bin/browse?AAtOfrEg6iK
b - http://sunsite.unc.edu/hwg-bin/browse?AaA6oHkg6iK

* Animated Email Buttons - Key Search 5:
http://sunsite.unc.edu/hwg-bin/browse?AavSZore6iK

* How to use the HWG Logo - Key Search 6:
http://www.hwg.org/services/logo/index.html

OK ... briefly and to the point for clarification.

1. Find another background image that suits the selected images and isn't
as bold.  In any event, the BGCOLOR of the page should resemble the color
of the background image.

2. Unless Geocities explicitly demands that you have the banners at the
top, move them to the bottom with sufficient white space to allow the
visitors to absorb the content of the page before they eventually, and they
will mind you, move onward somewhere close to the speed of light.

3. If you're going to link to your design and concept company, at least
have something there when the people arrive.  Currently, it links to your
index and there is nothing there.  It is not good practice to have links
available that go nowhere or do nothing.

4. Check out the Guild website for the proper usage of the logo. (mentioned
above)

5. If you're going to give credits, don't make someone else's credit stand
out more than your own.  In other words, switch the font sizes between your
promo and Goecities.

6. Try to use original artwork whenever you can ... the image of the lady
with the sword can be dated back to at least '93.  I know this because my
little brother had the same image when he was first starting out ...
suffice it to say he doesn't have it on his page anymore.

7. Your promo image [webheader.jpg] is 779x127 shrunk to 35x214 with the
image height and width ... why on earth would you make a visitor download
that graphic [35k] when you are only going to show about 7% of it?  No
wonder the site takes so long to load. (same goes for the email pic -
ink.gif ... you use it correctly on the EMAIL US page)

8. The dark font on the dark background is almost unbearable to read.  I
take that back ... it is unbearable to read.

9. <FONT SIZE=-2> should be <FONT SIZE="-2"> ... Integers should be encased.

10. Try and reduce the amount of images you are using ... they total close
to 154k on this page alone.

11. Using the background image in a table the contains images already is
not advisable.  Using a textured background perhaps, but not an abstract or
the like.

12. use ALT= in your images tags whenever and wherever possible ... most
especially if they are used for the purpose of navigation.

That's the end of the first page ... let's take a look at the sub-level.

Much better I must say ... but

INDEX1.HTML
1. Unnecessary usage of "blank" frames to control an effect that can be
accomplished using the proper methods.
2. Blink??? - http://sunsite.unc.edu/hwg-bin/browse?AaK8k22k6iK
3. Usage of the frame linkage was done well ... ;-)
4. In effect, you have two (2) splash pages ... the first one mentioned
above and now this one [index1.html].  Considering the amount of comments I
made above, I would make this page [index1.html] the first and only
entrance page.  You first hit the page above, then this page and then the
first link off of that is the "Welcome" page.  That's too much click-through.
5. Some sort of indentation and proper spacing techniques would be helpful
to the visitor within the main navigation frame.  Currently, the menu wraps
and thus, gives the impression that there are more menus items than there
are.  Also, some of the links provide onmouseover text and other do not ...
try and remain consistent.

WELCOME
1. Another 48k of images ... whew!
2. <FONT SIZE=+1>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT> ... what is this doing actually.
3. Having this whole page in italics serves what purpose ... suggestion
would be to use straight text and use the italics as emphasis ... much like
the tag was intended.

UPDATED
1. I would remove the TABLE borders and also the centering ... try using
bullet items
2. Separating the updated listing and the instructions into independent
sections would be appropriate.

TAVERN CUSTOMS
1. If you are going to be providing a new menu structure with this link and
also use Javascript, it would be appropriate to refresh the content area
with something other than what the visitor was previously viewing.  On the
other hand, why not just put the new menu structure in its own content page
upon choosing "Tavern Customs" and then have the only two links you provide
refresh in the content window itself, thus keeping the original navigation
available to the user?
2. You have the entire contents italicized again ... very distracting.
3. The contents of both the Visitor and OP Guidelines can effectively be
housed on the same page in the content area with ANCHOR linkage and
reduction in font size ... less-click through and the visitor gets the info
all at once ... in addition, you would be allowing the user to print out
the contents of the guidelines for later perusal .. that is of course, if
the visitor knows how to print whilst in a frameset ... that's another
issue altogether.

TAVERN FLOORPLAN
1. This is only a matter of preference.  Perhaps a listing in dictionary or
footnote format would be appropriate here.  You only have eight (8) items
displayed and to see the floorplan in image form may or may not be that
useful to the visitor.  As I said, it's a matter of preference.

GOREAN DICTIONARY
1. Good use of the frames here.  This would be a good alternative method
for the "Guidelines" page(s)
2. Again ... too much italic ... be a bit more creative.
3. If there is not items listed under a specified letter, I wouldn't
provide a link to a page that says you have no listing.
4. Short of the blank link and italics, I like this section

TAVERN MENU
1. Good use of frames again.
2. I might suggest some small commentary in regards to the menu ... some
explanation of the items if you will.

TRAINING CENTER
1. I'm not certain that you couldn't be a little more creative and fit the
training center within the original frameset instead of opening a new
window.  You have plenty of room in the top frame to maintain the main
navigation.  I would suggest exploring this alternative and not opening
another window.
2. I've mentioned throughout that the italics were distracting ... now you
are using the purple text on a black surface with italics ... very
difficult to read and follow, not to mention straining to the eyes.  (I
somehow get the impression you think that the italics provide you with the
element of scripture ... old world type ... if that is the case, I would
explore other alternatives)

GOREAN SITES
1. Nothing new to report here ... I would only reiterate the centering and
italics to be replaced with straight text and bullet items.  I might also
elaborate on the site you're referencing, just added value.

COLLARINGS
1. See TAVERN CUSTOMS

WRITINGS
1. See COLLARINGS ... if you're committed to Javascript ... a drop-down
menu would be ideal in this situation.

BEHIND THAT SCENE
1. See WRITINGS

FANTASY PICTURES
1. Don't See "****" ... this section is adequately used in its current form.

TAVERN GUESTBOOK
1. No Comment

EMAIL US
1. No comment as there is nothing there to really comment on.

***********************
OVERALL
IMO, you've done well to present the quantity of information that you've
presented.  Most of my comments above were of the aesthetic variety ..
mixed in with some broken cardinal rules and structure comments.

I would develop a consistent color scheme as stick with it throughout as
there are many sub-sections differing.

I would limit the usage of italics ... I believe you have the impression by
now.

Learn HTML and use an HTML editor such as Homesite from Allaire
[www.allaire.com] or BBEdit from Bare Bones Software [www.barebones.com]
... better yet, try out the DreamWeaver package from Macromedia
[http://www.macromedia.com/].  While there, check out their usage of frames
... it would benefit your site.

Explore the usages of CSS ... you would be able to do wonders with the
theme of your site.
I've tried to remain objective, yet informative without implying personal
convictions ... I hope that I've attained that during this review.  Feel
free to contact me directly should I have not explained everything completely.

Best,

cmj