Re: Commercial Critique.

by Nathalie Esteban <nate(at)ucla.edu>

 Date:  Tue, 05 Jan 1999 18:39:23 -0800
 To:  John Holman <jholman(at)HolmComp.net>
 Cc:  "'HWG Critique '" <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
NN 4.05, 800x600, 24 bit color (True Color), Win 95, 56K.

1- I'm sorry to say that I didn't really see much in the first frame. Maybe
it's because you didn't warn me (on the website, not just on mail) about
the need for a plug-in. Personally, if anyone tells me that I have to
download a plug-in to see a site, I go look at something else. Unless I'm
given a choice. In other words, please make a version that doesn't require
plug-ins =). I don't have any of them and don't have time to download them
either.

2- The bottom frame also has a grey square, that I really don't know what
it's supposed to be. If it's a plug-in thing, see above. Also, the
background color is yellow, and I can see the difference between that and
the main screen. Is that intentional?

3- Does Holman Computer Services have a logo? I know the page downloads
more quickly with a logo as text, but an image will give your company more
of a professional identity. Nothing fancy, just something that I can
visually associate with Holman Computer Services.

4- I am not sure what the resume has to do with your company. I know it's
yours because you sent an email to this list, but most viewers and
potential clients won't. Unless it's the resume for the company? *shrug*.

5- The services page seems a bit crowded. It might help if you use
paragraphs rather than tables, and if you explain a bit more about what
each service is. Another thing missing is prices (even if ballpark
figures). Finally, the FAQ link, while original, is a bit odd and
confusing. I didn't know if it was supposed to be three different FAQ's or
what. Rather than using the contents for the FAQ in that format, I'd use
them in the introduction, in a link called "about us" or something. Just a
suggestion.

6- Color scheme is good, I'm sure it's easy to see at any resolution.
Perhaps change the font style to Arial or Helvetica, since that's what you
have on the menu at the left?

-Nathalie Esteban

At 05:05 PM 1/5/99 -0800, John Holman wrote:
>I have seen the error of my last critique request.
>
>Yes, this is my company's web site.  Yes I own the company.  Yes the site is
>commercial.
>
>Thanks to the 3 people that have given me some feedback, but I could use
>much more help!!!  :)
>
>Thanks, and here is the URL:   http://www.HolmComp.net
>
>What browser, resolution, # of colors, OS, connection speed?  Any other
>pertinent info is very welcome!!! :)
>
>Thanks again!
>
>John Holman
>Holman Computer Services
>http://www.holmcomp.net
>"Time stands still for one man.  The one who is holding the sleeping child."

Live not as though there were a thousand years ahead of you. Fate is at
your elbow; make yourself good while life and power are still yours.

-Marcus Aurelius, 2nd. Century A.D.