Re: NEW SITE

by Nathalie Esteban <nate(at)ucla.edu>

 Date:  Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:54:00 -0800
 To:  HWG - Critique <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello,

MSIE 4.X, 56K, 800x600 at 24 bit color.

IMHO,

1- I guess my first impression was... that the fonts you used are not
professional looking at all. They seem a bit just too upbeat... cause they
are like handwriting fonts. While the graphics quality is good, and the
page loads very quickly... I'm not sure that the font you used for the
graphics is really a good idea. Just an opinion. Oh and same about the MS
Comic Sans...

2- I am pretty much against mission statements, *especially* when they say
"Mission:" as a way of introduction. I'd lose it, or put it in a less
conspicuous place. Or... instead, I'd start with "Such and Such company is
committed to offering blah blah blah..." or something of the sort.

3- The links on the left frame should keep with the color scheme.. red or
black...

4- Too much white space. On the one hand, your page is very quick to load,
which is a good thing. But while you are trying (or so it seems) to convey
an air of excitement and motivation... I'd use a bit more color in the
layout. The smiley logo is contradicted by the lack of color.

5- Ya know... I'd really use the links you have in the Services page to
start off the main page. I've been on this page for 5 minutes and I still
don't really know what you're trying to offer. Each of those links seems
like it should logically lead to something else.. but all I get are one
outline after another. More explanations would be called for.

Services, I would assume, would include things like prices for seminars (is
that what you're offering?), location of upcoming talks and workshops, etc.
The outlines really didn't tell me much... I am still not sure whether they
are titles of workshops you plan to offer, or of they are things I should
be working on already... I am pretty lost.

Good use of mouseover effects and kudos for keeping the page load to a
minimum. Still, I think your site would benefit more from graphics and more
color.

Hope that helps,

Nathalie Esteban

At 02:36 PM 1/29/99 -0700, Adrian Fischer wrote:
>Hi list,
> I am new to this listing but not the guild.  I have a site that is
>under development at:
>
>http://members.xoom.com/logologic/ctc/
>
>Constructive criticism (or praise) is welcomed.
>TIA
>
>Adrian Fischer

Live not as though there were a thousand years ahead of you. Fate is at
your elbow; make yourself good while life and power are still yours.

-Marcus Aurelius, 2nd. Century A.D.