[Belated] Re: Critique for web site competition entry

by Brian <brianj(at)ais.ais-gwd.com>

 Date:  Thu, 19 Feb 1998 00:47:09 -0500
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Diarmuid Ryan asked:

win95/28.8 gerbil powered/800x600/16 bit highcolor/17" display/2 quarts of
89 octane/

First, note JavaScript error upon entry:
[1]
JavaScript Error: http://ireland.iol.ie/~dpryan/spinaweb/main.html, line 133:
missing ; before statement.
self.status='Please visit my personal homepages, there is a lot to see and
do. You won't regret it!'; return true
...........^

>Could I please have some opinions. If you think anything is wrong, out of
>place, ugly, etc. Please let me know. Please let me know what you think of
the
>graphics also (mostly my own artwork).

[1] Give the page a title (in HTML). If someone were to bookmark the page
they would see nothing but the URL.

[2] Nice use of NOFRAMES, but if they don't have a frames capable browser,
they may not be able to see the CSS.

[3] Title images need antialiasing. (see hwg-graphics archives; search
under "antialias")
http://ireland.iol.ie/~dpryan/spinaweb/gfx/headers/tourism_in_tipp.gif
http://ireland.iol.ie/~dpryan/spinaweb/gfx/headers/contents.gif

The images also need more contrast. I could barely read them.
I can help you with them if you'd like. It would take no more than 5
minutes. I'd be glad to help; I realize that you spent a lot of time on
this site.

[4] The navigation frame could use a more contrasting color for the links.
The yellowish gold color that Tipperary is on the map would look excellent
as your links color, IMO. Complimentary too.

[5] Lose the status bar ticker tape. It's non-professional. Any info down
there could easily be read in the body of the document-- at a better pace
as well :)

[6] The word, "Miscellaneous" is overlapping the frame in the navigation
area. Minor fault.
Just noticed it.

[7] This image
(http://ireland.iol.ie/~dpryan/spinaweb/gfx/map-tipp-towns.gif) is broken,
on this page:
http://ireland.iol.ie/~dpryan/spinaweb/tipptowns.html

[8] In "Other Areas," the links to Cahir, Cashel, and Tipperary are
redundant. Had already been there, so, of course, the vlinks were visible.

[9] Most of the descriptions in the "Sports" section are encapsulated in a
table with a background color that is waaaaaaaaay too light. Try darkening
them a bit.

Too much contrast is a killer, but you definitely need a tad bit more.
Photographs aren't bad at all.

[10] By now, the email animation has rotated about 400 times. I'd have to
say, go with a static image. Or, at least don't stick it where it's visible
all of the time. :)

[11] Same JavaScript error on this page:
http://ireland.iol.ie/~dpryan/spinaweb/sitemap.html

JavaScript Error: http://ireland.iol.ie/~dpryan/spinaweb/sitemap.html, line
322:
missing ; before statement.
self.status='Please visit my personal homepages, there is a lot to see and
do. You won't regret it!' ; return true
...........^

If you must use the ticker tape approach, try sticking a \ between the n
and 't in the word "won't" in the above error-- like so: won\'t. If I
remember correctly, that will solve the error message.

[12] GOOD!! Now on this page, you must have had "contrast" on your mind:
http://ireland.iol.ie/~dpryan/spinaweb/misc/feedback.html

Looks nice.

[13] Links, same as above-- not bad.

Overall, the site is pretty well laid out, and, overall, it's clean. LOADS
of content.
For the exception of a a good bit of very minor points, I think you have a
nice site.
If it were me, I'd add a bit more color, and spice it up a bit-- but that's
entirely up to you.

You asked for my honest opinion, and ya got it :)
I know I was a bit dry this time around, but I've had a bad week.

If you need help getting those title graphics cleaned up a bit, let me
know-- I'll help you with anything you'd like to know.

Regards,

b.j.

brian j. | fusion web design
freelance graphic designer/web developer
fusion(at)greenwood.net
<http://www.ais-gwd.com/~fusion>
[i.c.q. 1057986]