[Belated] Re: Critique http://rielle.simplenet.com/

by Brian <brianj(at)ais.ais-gwd.com>

 Date:  Thu, 19 Feb 1998 01:41:25 -0500
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Gabriele Endress asked:

>http://rielle.simplenet.com/

>Please include: operating system, browser and version, screen
>resolution

[*] win95/28.8 gerbil powered/800x600/16 bit highcolor/17" display/2 quarts
of 89 octane/

>Please comment on organization, usability, overall design, etc. (Does it
>look perofessional?)

Yep. Looks professional.

Offerings-

[1] I'd slide the body of the page over to the right a tad. This is a
common problem with this layout. The text is snug against the side bar.

[2] Links: too dark. vlinks: Too light. Change 'em fast.

[3] Graphics are clean and good-looking. Although, I get the feeling that
you're afraid to experiment (take that for whatever it's worth :) A little
less monotone. (I am guilty too <g>)

[4] Peeve: TM is too big. Looks like it's haunting the words "On This
Planet Earth"

[5] You speak of "We" yet you have _your_ resume posted.

[6] The freebies section isn't that bad of an idea. Some do frown upon it,
but I think it could generate traffic, possibly clients.

Or, you could just offer those as "Freebies" to clients? Sounds better to me.

[7] I don't mind the banners, some hate them. Just fine with me. Glad you
didn't over do it with them though (hint- hint- hint, people).

[8] Offer a *contact form* as well as an estimate form.

[9] When you add contact info on each page, this also means type out your
email address-- as a link, and something that can be copied, written down,
*printed* whatever. Your name is on your resume, so
_stick_it_at_the_bottom_of_each_page. :)

Always make sure they'll have all the info they need if they decide to
print and take it with them. Advertisers, company owners-- they're busy
people. They dont wanna come back later, they wanna print and go.

Last note: be a little more brave with your designs and colors. Give table
bgcolors a try! Look into stock photos, be creative. Show a potential
client that you have the flexibility that it takes to create original designs.

Most of all, don't worry so much and have a little fun with it :)

>Also, is the introdcutio on the first page professional sounding, or
>does it come off in any bad ways???

Nope. Have a few  more of your friends look at it. Ask your mom, your dad,
your brother-- heck, grandama :) Ask everyone who has a chance, say, "Hey,
would you give this a try?" ya might even pick up a little bit of
word-of-mouth exposure.

>Thanks!

Anytime, you bet.

b.j.

brian j. | fusion web design
freelance graphic designer/web developer
fusion(at)greenwood.net
<http://www.ais-gwd.com/~fusion>
[i.c.q. 1057986]