Re: Please critique OOPS

by Sharon Milano <sharon.milano(at)mci.com>

 Date:  Fri, 20 Feb 1998 15:13:06 -0500
 To:  Michael Wilson <webmaster(at)lucidmind.com>,
hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>http://www.karlcoke.com

>Down Load Time
Almost instantaneous. =)

>Layout
Very clean.  I like the soft yellow light behind the blue text.  I also
like the lines/rectangle/shape theme.  At the risk of adding another
graphic to the main page, you might want to consider putting the address
info in the same font as the graphic at the bottom of the page.  The change
in fonts, with the text so close together, makes it look like something
isn't quite right.  If you keep it as text, you might want to try Arial and
a little smaller.  Also, dropping caps would help too.

Redirection Music:
I don't care for the aqua blue of the tables.  It doesn't match the main
blue of the pages so it hurts the eyes.  Some alternatives might be no
bgcolor but a border=1 with a marroon border color or navy border color.

The order table also hurt my eyes.  Try no bgcolor, bold/navy font color
for the heading text and bold for the title names of the albums.

You have a lot of superfulous code on that page.  For example:

<pre>
< CENTER >
</CENTER>
<CENTER>
</CENTER>

<CENTER>
</CENTER>

<CENTER>
  <TABLE BORDER=0 CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 COLS=2 WIDTH="88%"
BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" >
  </TABLE>
  <TABLE BORDER=0 CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 COLS=2 WIDTH="88%"
BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" >
    <CAPTION></CAPTION>
</pre>

Hopefully, you'll be able to read what I just posted... I sure do hate html
in email clients.  Ugh.  If you can't read it, you have some extra center
tags and a whole table that isn't even used along with caption tags that
aren't used.  Might want to clean up your code a bit.

Also, at the top of the page, TABLE of contents is misspelled.

Instead of sending everyone back to the main page for additional
navigation, you could try some small font text links at the top or bottom
of the page.

The Timothy Program:
Again, the table colors just kill me.  Same for the rest of the pages.

>Content
I think that you have a good graphical start on this site, but the
non-graphical content needs some "curb-appeal".

>Browser Comp.
NC 4.02 - works fine

Be sure to put the Doc type on each of your pages.

Link to http://www.karlcoke.com/News.htm is 404.

By chance, my mouse scrolled over the main graphic at the bottom of the
homepage and I saw it was a mailto:  I would have never guessed to click
there to send an email.  Try providing a more obvious link to send email.

All in all, I think it's a good start, just needs some fine tuning to make
it more eye pleasing.  I really like the graphics.

Sharon Milano
sharon.milano(at)mci.com