Re: alpha critique Words at Work advertising

by Chris Messina <cmessina(at)sandstormpublishing.com>

 Date:  Thu, 21 May 1998 17:53:42 -0400
 To:  WordsAtWork <studio(at)wordsatwork.com.au>,
hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>- is the site too basic?

umm, no. It's not bad, but there really isn't a lot of continuity from what
i looked at. when i first get to the site i see the neat animated gif not
connected tightly to the frameborder like i would expect, and here it is
5:00 PM and it says Good morning! There's a script out there you can find
that can vary that message according the user's computer time...

i see the top logo and think, "neat." then the designer in me says, that
would look better if that WHOLE frame contained only that iamge--either
shrink the frame or make a gray-cloud bg.

then the middle frame and i finally have some choices! good work with the
javascript! why don't you throw those links into a 100% tall table and
valign=middle the row? that way the links would be centered horiz and vert
in the frame...

so then i check your quick pitch and i see this hideous eye (sorry)
blinking at me... then that whole sroll nonsense... the slideshow is a good
idea, but it might load quicker if you cut that into two frames--two rows,
one for the changing images and one for the change-image-buttons (can be
done in javascript). most of the images were about 15K which in my opinion
is too big...  i think you could do those images justice (as well as the
viewer) if you threw them into the gif format--most are only blue and
yellow and gray, so they'd be smaller.

i go to case studies and there's that eye again, and a really bad
transparentized nav title--here's my suggestions to clean that up: either
use a red hue and make that transparent so it'll blend better'n green, or
just make the background a gif of the same color as the bg of your image...

the clients section was pretty good, although there werent any links
(generally expected, but not always necessary). one image was mia.

>- load time

not too much of a problem here on a 28.8.

>- aesthetic style

not too shabby; see above for specifics.

overall, good layout, plan, coding. good luck!

Chris Messina
Webmaster -|- Sandstorm Publishing
http://www.sandstormpublishing.com
http://www.sandstormpublishing.com/thecloset