Critique For Buttons at Geneology Site

by David Gauer <gauer(at)>

 Date:  Mon, 17 Aug 1998 19:37:42 -0700
 To:  hwg-critique(at)
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I just made some buttons to help navigate to different area on my site. I was
>wondering if I made the buttons too big. Could you check out this particular
>page at:
>Let me know if I should change anything about the buttons.

Well, I'm with Virginia on the size of the buttons.  I think current trends
dictate that smaller is better for most design elements.

Perhaps you could remove some of that bevel, shorten it a bit, and put a
little bit of a shadow behind the text to make it stand out from the
picture behind it.  Something like this, perhaps:

Just an idea.

-David Gauer

Browsers: NN4.05, IE3.0
Modem: 57.6K