Re: Be Gentle {:)

by Bradley and Debbie Miller <bradndeb(at)laurie.net>

 Date:  Thu, 03 Sep 1998 08:45:36 -0500
 To:  "Phil Sinewe" <psinewe(at)erinet.com>,
hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:29 AM 9/3/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Ok folks, take a look
>
>http://www-dev.ohtf1.com:8080

Phil -
Personally, I would take the splash page and make it into more of a "index
me" page for the search engines.   I would have a small paragraph with some
strategic words that will help explain your site, what it is, purpose, and
have it *properly* indexed.  (I do not condone the useage of search engines
for advertising venues . . . )   I tried my hand at optimizing the image on
your page, and working just from the jpg makes it a little more difficult.
Here's what I came up with:
http://www.accesszone.com/temp_hwg/ohio.html
I changed the picture from 150 dpi to 72 dpi (standard screen resolution)
and then saved it with Ulead's GIF/JPG Smartsaver.   It did a fairly decent
job.  (Right click to snag my version!)  I noticed that you used two
different resolutions -- the high/low source tags.  Unfortunately that
won't work for some users . . . but it's always helpful.    Personally, I'd
take one and do a b/w of it at a lot lower resolution and bit depth, but at
27K this image will work fine for most 28.8K+ users.   I also added the alt
tag, that way you might be able to eliminate the "click to enter" help at
the bottom.

On the next page, there is where the first minor glitch comes in.  The menu
bar for the equipment and procedures page is not letting the text be fully
displayed.  I run into that all the time with the WYSIWYG programs.   I
would suggest a new title for that page, or doing the menu bar/graphics
yourself.   That's a lot of work, so maybe even abbreviating the page name
would help.   I know in NOF (Netobjects Fusion) you can name the page one
thing and use another name for the menu bars.   Likewise if you have one
troublesome one, you can design it yourself and have it add it in place of
it's own generated one.  (That's new in version 3.0)

Other than that it looks like a nice start.   The buttons did look a little
stark, but I liked the mouseovers on them.

Bradley Miller
Webmaster/Designer
AccessZone  -  Stop searching the web for local and far World Wide Web Sites
http://www.accesszone.com - Phone: 1-800-826-2334