Re: ftp

by Elysia De Chenn <mistygirl(at)mindspring.com>

 Date:  Sun, 11 Oct 1998 11:35:21 -0400
 To:  Steve & Mary Raine <hubbybear(at)worldnet.att.net>
 Cc:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
If you -really- want to get your changes up and at'em...then (pardon the
term) screw Homesite until they come back from vacation and go with the
generic ftp program that comes with Win95! :)

Directions (if you don't know them):

Go to Start > Run > type in "command"

You will get your MS-DOS prompt.

If your prompt starts at

	C:/windows/desktop/

and you want to get to

	C:/webpages/newpage/

you'd type

	1.  cd ..
		(do this however many times it takes to get to C:/)
	2.  cd webpages
	3.  cd newpage

once you're >>>>in the folder that contains your changed pages<<<<, type

	ftp ftp.myserver.com

this will give you their login prompt, which will ask for your login name
and password.  Type in what you'd normally type.

Once you're connected,

	type binary (to switch mode from ASCII)
	then type:

	send mychangedfile.html

and voila!  Your page is uploaded.  It's actually pretty simple -- hey, you
may already know how to use DOS's ftp program.  But if NOT, then I suggest
you get to know it well for those times when your OTHER ftp programs are
"on the blitz".

Additional: you can type "help" or ? at the ftp prompt at any time.

Also, typing ! will take you back to the C: prompt, just in case you forgot
what files you were uploading and want to do a "ls" or "dir".  typing
"exit" will take you back to the ftp prompt.

ALSO!  If things should start going slowly, or if you want to get out of
the ftp program for ANY reason, you can type

	CTRL-c

and it will take you back to the current folder (i.e. C:/webpages/newpage/)

Okay, enough from me!

//Ely

--
"...fascinating, isn't it, when  | No Faith
 she screams; and it feels like  |  [ http://members.xoom.com/no_faith/]