Re: My first animation

by Liz Bartlett <khyri(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Sun, 28 May 2000 12:57:40 -0700
 To:  "Critique" <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
One of the drawbacks of many animations is that words that are
on the screen less than 100% of the time are more likely to be
missed by users. (Which is why <BLINK> is such a bad idea for a tag).
If you want your words to be part of the animation, try having
one or two words at a time appear in each successive frame, with
the first frame having at least one word. Then the user will know
that words will (eventually) appear to explain the graphic, and
won't miss them while turning to pick up a cup of coffee or
answer the phone (all tempting activities while waiting for
a 300K image to download over a modem) - instead they can
stare intently at the screen waiting for the full sentence to appear.

I agree that the movement needs to be smoother - there's too much
of a jump between frames. Downsizing to about 200 pixels wide
would allow more frames per cycle in the same file size.

Also, the black figures on a dark blue background were hard to make
out. Consider having them in a lighter color.

Viewed in NN 4.7 on Win98, 1024 x 768, 16 bit color, full T1.

--Liz