Re: Please critique commercial site-Opera support JS

by Liz Bartlett <khyri(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Thu, 08 Jun 2000 10:41:08 -0700
 To:  "hwg-critique(at)hwg.org" <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:52 PM 6/7/00 -0700, Michael West wrote:
>returns a white background, and the background images for the
>tables do not appear. Since most users of Opera have other
>browsers too all I added to their redirection screen is:
>
>We're sorry. Your Browser does not function correctly with our
>web site if you have Netscape or Internet Explorer please use it.

Sorry to be brutal again :) but in general, users of Opera are
going to be web-savvy people who will take one look at the
phrase above, and leave your site forever. Not only is it terse,
rude, and displaying a lack of knowledge on how to design for
universal accessibility, but the second sentence is missing at
least 2 essential punctuation marks (take your pick from , ; and .)

Anything on a web site which is not written in a correct and
professional manner is going to immediately turn people away. If
I went to a site for a web hosting company, and saw the above,
I'm afraid my first thought would be "here's something being
run by a couple of teenagers out of their garage". :(

--Liz