Re: Commercial site critique and question

by Kersti at Work <kanear(at)pacificaccess.com.au>

 Date:  Mon, 02 Nov 1998 10:00:20 +1100
 To:  "Christian Ricci" <chris(at)onewolf.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:13 PM 10/31/98 -0700, Christian Ricci wrote:
>I'm only starting out but I'm finding it difficult, at times, to balance
>the "customer/employer" wishes with my own artistic (??) ideas.  When the
>person employing you asks for something that you feel compromises the site
>or its content, how do you deal with this.  Being more of a programmer than
>an artist, I tend to lean toward the philosophy that the customer/employer
>is always right.  However, this takes its toll on my ability to use the work
>as a reference base.

I've learnt the hard way! I took a few scetches for different layouts to a
company, one being the one that I preferred, a few so-so designs and one
being one that I hated which was obviously really bad. Guess which one they
went for!

Now, I talk to them first about what goals they have. What do they wish to
achieve by having the site? What do they wish their users to achieve when
they visit the site? How does the site fit in with their overall strategic
plan? Once you get this gaff from them, you can point out areas which may
well compromise the overall idea. You may also find that you are able to
add in some fancy extras that make them feel better about you.

I also find that the market research and bandwidth strategies work well -
ie "Shockwave is a great way to present information, however, my research
has shown that 50% of users taht will be viewing your site do not have the
tools to view it so your 5Mb shockwave thingie will alienate those people,
while the others will not wait aruond for it. I would suggest a
low-bandwidth alternative that enhances your site without looking gimmicky."

I guess I made up my mind about how to approach customers when I was
looking for a new hair stylist. I've always seemed to run into hairdressers
that simply do as I ask and never really offer suggestions. During our gas
crisis here in Melbourne I went to one hairdresser who had hot water (an
amazing luxury!) and he actually made some suggestions for styles that
would suit my face and colours that would enhance my eyes... at last - a
professional!

It's always good to keep in mind that the customer is paying you for your
professional experience. If a job is not going to enhance your portfolio,
walk away - there's always other jobs.

Kersti