Re: having problems with the tables

by Bruce Klaiss <harper_blue(at)compuserve.com>

 Date:  Fri, 17 Sep 1999 22:23:51 -0500
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Lynnsey,

At 10:29 PM 9/16/99 -1000, you wrote:

>How can you have multiple browsers on one machine without one or the other
>trying to "take over"?  Do you have to create partitions?  I had IE5
>installed & tried to install NS 4.x (stand-alone), & the NS browser took
>over even though I set IE as the default browser.  It went back to normal
>after I uninstalled NS.

One way to do this (if practical) is to instally your browsers in order of
least desired to most desired, start to finish.  If you want IE4 or 5 as
the default, though, this >>may<< (I'm unsure) cause a problem, since the
wretched thing is so tightly bound into the interface of Windows 98.

This way might be better -- I read it in a magazine lately.  This has
worked for me recently, but any comment from other members is welcome.
Install what browsers you want, then do the following procedure:

=====

Open "My Computer"

>From the Menu bar:  View / Folder Options / File Types tab on the dialog
box.

Scroll down through the list to find where the definition for HTML files
is; this may be browser-centric, dependent on which browser you installed
last.

Highlight the line, then click "Remove."  Yes, I said "Remove."  The thing
is that this removes the assignment of HTML files to >any< browser, but of
course leaves the files.

Now find an HTML file in one of your folders (remember, they won't be
marked by anything but a default icon now), and click to open it in your
preferred style.  Windows will respond with a dialog box, asking what
application to open the file in.  Select the browser program you want as
the default, and hey presto!  Every HTML file will be assigned to >that<
browser.

=====

When you're adding browsers, by the way, and you're adding a version of
something that you already have, >>remember to install it in a new
folder!<<  If you blithely select the default, you might overwrite what you
already have, requiring long sessions with downloaders to repair the damage.

Bruce Klaiss
Harper Research Associates

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Villa/2617/
http://www.mastermason.com/friendship-83/