Re: Rick Fraser - Site Critique

by John Ramsey <tubetown(at)newnorth.net>

 Date:  Tue, 21 Mar 2000 00:43:57 -0600
 To:  hwg-critique(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 04:23 PM 3/20/00 -0700, you wrote:

>Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:20:43 -0800
>From: "Rick Fraser" <rbfraser(at)apc.net>
>Subject: Site critique
>
>Would be obliged if I can have a critique of this site.
>
>www.pickupthepieces.com
>
>Thank You in advance
>Rick

Hi, Rick,
     I checked out the site above and I have some impressions - I'm running
Win98, 17" mon., 800x600, 28.8k.

The good:
 Decent load time even over my bogus connection.
Nice background images and some rich art images on the Restoration page.
Clean design and effecient layout - no real "dead ends".

The other:
Header logo on the index page is resized down which is not good. Either use
your logo original size on the pages or resize in Fireworks, PSP, Image
Ready, etc.
The "the" in the logo itself should be capitalized. It is in other spots of
the site and looks better anyway.
The photos on the "about the pieces" page are sort of bland and don't
really convey (to me, at least) anything about the expertise of Mr. Foster.
Additionally, the top photo is also resized down from it's original size -
fix it along with the logo.
I didn't read all the copy on the site but I did notice that the links to
"Inquire into Options" has options misspelled.
The same nice background images don't do a thing for site continuity - cure
that by keeping the images and developing a header/footer/side nav system
(you don't have to use all 3) and carry it thru the entire site .
The form page (question) needs navigation in case the person got there by
mistake or doesn't really want to send anything.
I feel the copy could be tightened up overall and suggest another proofing
as there are some typos. I could see how adding interesting content on the
procedures involved and on past successes will bolster the image of being
experts in the restoration field.

Overall, nice job. I'm sorry that I don't have more time to offer more
suggestions and hope that what I have is taken as constructive criticism.
You're on the right track for a really nice site.

John Ramsey
Pinni Design Group
<http://www.brcds.com/pinni>
tubetown(at)newnorth.net