Re: Critique on personal site

by Virginia Blalock <skatefan(at)visions.simplenet.com>

 Date:  Fri, 06 Nov 1998 13:37:14 -0600
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:18 PM 11/6/98 +0100, John de Vries wrote:

>Please some critique on my personal site.
>http://www.kwik-net.nl/users/firefox/index.htm
>The site is not finished yet, I would however like to know how I can
>improve on it.
>Thanks in advance

First, the guitar graphic is cool.

I don't get the need for your front page. All is does is make me wait for
graphics to load and then click one more time to get to the actual content.
I would lose it.

I don't know why you have the back and next buttons only on the first page.
They are not anywhere else that I could see. But, also, I don't get the
need for them period unless the site is a photo gallery or other similar
graphics site.

I would break up your content a little more. There was a little too much
text on each page. You used many small photos which were fine, but on one
page there were lots of the little photos and then this big photo of Tammy
Wynette on the bottom. It broke the effect you created on the page.

UNMANCON2.JPG was a broken link.

I liked your instruments page. I would consider having the rest of your
text pages look more like it. The breaks made the text easier to read. It
is best to make the whole of one look. This page was white while the others
had the background graphic.

On the ABOUT ME page, the COMING SOON graphic should be transparent if
you're going to use it with the background. It look bad otherwise.

You may want to consider using text for your country links instead of the
graphics. If you plan on expanding this section, those graphics will start
to get adding up to too much to download. But even if you don't plan on
expanding it, text links as well as graphics links are recommended.

Hope this helps!

Virginia's Visions
http://visions.simplenet.com