Re: first paid site!!!!

by C and P <enigma(at)netcom.ca>

 Date:  Fri, 18 Dec 1998 18:34:27 -0500
 To:  maderman(at)erols.com,
hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>> How is the layout?   Clean, looks ok.  Your black left side navigation frame
>> isn't quite smooth where it connects with the curve.  Consider putting a
>> little more info about the company on your site...address or phone/fax
number
>> would help give the company more legitimacy and help potential customers get
>> in touch.
I have struggled with that black curve not quite matching up but I just
cant get it.  If you view the graphic on its own it is indeed smooth.  It
has something to do with the frames, but I cant figure it out.  Any ideas
anyone?

>> Navigation? Easy navigation and the load times were just a few seconds.  For
>> me, there were too many pages in each navigation category presented in the
>> first page in your main frame.  For example, there were 6 pages to click
>> through in the first category (Euphoria vs Eutopia), each page containing
>> only a short paragraph of what might be termed "fluff" information (fluff is
>> not always bad if you're trying to make a vistor comfortable with your
>> philosophy).  You might consider combining some of those pages.
I agree with you, but I also wanted each page to fit without too much
scrolling.  As well, the client wants ALL that info there.

  No content
>> on the news page...the first time I tried it via the link your server
>> couldn't find it.  It took two tries...don't know why.
Yes, the news page will be finished over the next 12 hours.  I just had a
meeting with the client and now I have some NEWS to put there.  Stay
tuned...  I dont know what is up with the xoom server, but soon (tonight)
it will be offloaded to the permanent IP.

>> Design? I think rames work well for this site. I think you did a good job
>> with the logo and you did what you could with the graphics that were
>> provided.  I don't know for sure, but the font used might be sharper if you
>> used a darker color than the lavender?  I also like the fact that the first
>> page is contained in my viewing area so I don't have to scroll down at
>> 800X600.  Again, perhaps more info on the company on that first page inside
>> the splash page would be worthwhile, but its just my opinion.  Do you have
>> any statistics...how many peope they get together each week, month, or
>> year...how may marriages took place from people who met through this
company,
>> a short one sentence testimonial done tastefully might work.  You've done a
>> great job with the company's philosophy, but more hard info on the company
>> and how it does what it does so well might be helpful.
When I was initially designing the site I didnt have much of the hard info.
 I have it now and I will be adding it to the site as appropriate, esp. on
the mail page.   Some testimonials and facts etc will come soon (over the
next weeks) as the site is finalized and kinks worked out.  Also, when the
client can gather them up for me!

>This is a brochure site it seems.  What can get people coming back?  Something
>that changes content regularly (and may provide you some maintenence hours)
>like a newsletter, stories from dating couples, advice for the lovelorn,
>inputting or updating  info via forms, etc (I'm not advocating any of these,
>just thinking out loud).
Stay tuned to the news page (if you care :)   )  The client has some real
vigorous ideas for keeping the site fresh (content wise) and I suppose I
will rake in the maintenance and updating fees!  Woo hoo!

Since your pages are very much
>standardized, perhaps style sheets could cut your coding time down, but it
>might go back up again if you then must gracefully degrade for older browsers.
Yes, backword compatibility was a major factor in my decision not to use
CSS.  It would have been much easier, I agree, but you know how it is....
client:  "my mom uses nn2 and she wants to see the site..."

>Just opinions :)
>Hope it helps.
Muchos!

phil.