Re: Equine Insurance Site

by Ian Douglas <ian(at)wildwebservices.com>

 Date:  Thu, 14 Jan 1999 19:43:33 -0500
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I used a slicer program as the first page graphic was very large

Regardless, the end user's browser still has to load the picture, whether
it's in one piece or 17... it's still 60k worth of data that will take like
17 seconds to load with a 28.8 modem.  You may want to try higher
compression rates on the .jpg graphics.  Ideally, you want for opening page
to load in under 10 seconds... for that to happen, you need everything on
your opening page (including the HTML code and graphics) to be smaller than
40kb total.

Personally, I'm not sure I wouldn't have cut it into smaller pieces unless
you were going to toggle the graphics with a mouseover script (which would
take longer to load with extra graphics)... just create an image map instead.

>Do others do something similar--i.e., uploading to your site until it's
>complete?

Yup, I sure do.

A few other critiques:

1152x864, 24-bit color
2.2Mbps ADSL link

The navigation controls under the picture should be split up a little...
stretching right across the page may look odd in lower resolutions since
you'll have a ~ at the end of the line.  Perhaps after the 5th link (care,
custody & control), exchange the ~ for a <br> ?  Also, if the browser
window is stretched just right, some of the phrases get split up because of
the space between the words.  You may want to code it as:

... so that end browsers will not split the line if it finds a space in
your phrase.

I would also add another blank line between "Contact Webmaster with site
comments" and "Site designed by Image Online Services"

Your navigation graphic on the other pages, while only 18k, seemed to take
an awful long time to download, even at my speed.  If your server is
experiencing heavy load, I would test the download speeds from your
client's server to be certain the load time isn't going to turn potential
customers away.

On the other pages, I would suggest using a blockquote tag to indent
everything a level ... might help the look a little.

Other than that, a nice, clean presentation.  Good luck with it.

---
Ian W. Douglas, Wild Web Services
ian(at)wildwebservices.com
UIN: 506679