Re: Request for html site evaluation

by Kym Jones <kjones(at)adam.com.au>

 Date:  Fri, 21 Jul 2000 08:05:54 +0930
 To:  Hubert Earl <hearl(at)bigfoot.com>,
hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

Hi Hubert,

Back in the 60's and 70's strobe lighting was very popular in the discos
and they were fun. But when one emerged into the light, it took some time
for their eyes to return to normal and I'm still waiting for mine to return
to their normal state after visiting your site.

Gosh!!! that is er..er.."colorful" :)  I don't mean to be rude, but if your
color palette were loaded with liquid paint, it would now be bone dry...I
think you used em all...!!!!!  Three colors is about the limit before
things start to get out of hand.

That's the first thing....now...

If you are wanting to take on web design at a professional level, I would
strongly suggest that you keep your, ahem, "personal" interests out of it.
A potential client is more interested in how you are going to help his
business than listening to the sexual hijinks of Donald Duck ...amusing
though they may be.

I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with humor or that you shouldn't
have a little place on the net where you can "let it all hang out" ...what
I AM suggesting is, that it's probably best that you keep it to yourself
unless it has something to do with the type of clientele you intend to
specialize in. I could care less if your personal site has naked women and
a brass band...but your prospective clients might.

Since the URL that you posted is for your personal page, rather than your
business page, I am assuming (not always the wisest thing to do <g>) that
this is the page you want opinions on and you now have mine.

However, I did look at your business page and some of the other pages you
have done and to be honest, you need to go back to the drawing board. Get
yourself into some tables and organize your text around the page so that it
is nicely laid out. Everything left justified or centered is a definite no
no. Blocks of text broken up with the occasional graphic is good, but don't
go berserk.

Get yourself a good design book and absorb it for breakfast, lunch and
dinner. Surf around and take a look at other business sites and make notes
about what looks good and what does not.

But above all else...*always* be professional.

Good luck

Kym

FoJo Media  -  for Creative Graphics & Web Design
Visit The Garden for FREE graphics
PhotoImpact Users - Get FREE objects in UFO format.
http://www.fojomedia.com