Re: Need a critique of new business site

by Kym Jones <kjones(at)adam.com.au>

 Date:  Wed, 23 Aug 2000 00:17:41 +0930
 To:  Linda Shumaker <lshum(at)localline.com>,
hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

Hi Linda,

I'm afraid I'm probably not going to be your favorite person but you did
ask and there are several things that occur to me.

Firstly, looking at your code, you have a mixture of upper and lower case.
Lower case is definitely the way to go. Mixing it up is likely at some
point in time to cause things to mysteriously drop dead. If you haven't
validated your pages, that will help you to find errors and hopefully avoid
disaster.

I think you would have more control over the actual design using tables
rather than frames. I like the background on the main page but that text is
just way too overpowering and reducing it would also allow you to place it
so that there is no scrolling, making the page more attractive. Also the
font used on your buttons is all over the place...it needs to be uniform in
size and of the same type.

There is a spelling error in the first paragraph...."weather" should be
"whether".

I would position the Guild logo centrally under the buttons to balance it
and you need to put a space in the date between the "1" and the "2000".
Right now it just looks like "1,200". There are numerous areas on all the
pages where your spacing needs to be adjusted between words etc.

Are you aware that static backgrounds will only work in IE ? Not a big
deal...just pointing it out.

If you're going to offer "packages" you really should include prices and
what is a "moderate" graphic ? I think you need to be more specific as to
exactly what is included in each package and each one should be more
inviting than the last. You're offering email links and hyperlinks "as
requested"...what's going to happen if someone pops up and wants 100
links...you need to be specific as to exactly what you are offering.

Also on this page there is a small amount of right scrolling which is a
definite nono, but again, reducing the size of that text, will probably fix
that problem.

The "Lion" link on your examples page doesn't work. I would center the
table, reduce the width and get those images fitting snugly within each
cell. There's really no need to put a name on each thumbnail, but if you
are going to do it, it should be uniform. I would put them all underneath.

In the paragraph immediately underneath your thumbnails the word "original"
is spelled incorrectly three times !!! and in the paragraph relating to
"Life in the Graveyard" ..."larger then most" should read ..."larger thAn
most".

I don't mean to be rude and I certainly don't wish to offend you, but this
site needs some serious overhauling. I really would recommend that you get
yourself a good book on web design and visit lots of other sites to see
what other commercial designers are doing.  O'Reilly's Web Design in a
Nutshell is an *excellent* book and there are a lots of design hints and
tip available on the net.

Good luck.

Kym

FoJo Media  -  for Creative Graphics & Web Design
Visit The Garden for FREE graphics
PhotoImpact Users - Get FREE objects in UFO format.
http://www.fojomedia.com