Re: Opinions

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Wed, 09 Aug 2000 11:10:54 -0500
 To:  "Carol Parent" <parent(at)djam.com>,
"htmlcritique" <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Carol,

>My question to you all is this:
>People are finding me.  But I am getting little to no inquiries.  What I
>would like from you is your opinion on why you think that is?  Is my site to
>hokey?  Not high tech enough?  Confusing to visitors?  Not enough
>information?

I've seen your site before and I always thought it was a nice site --
straight, simple, the frames do get a little confusing, but I really don't
see anything visually. The links are not quite as focused as they could be,
but it looks like your business is very community-oriented and that's why
its a mix of professional and community service.

>My next question is:
>What are your experiences as far as clients coming from the web?  Does the
>majority of your business come from the web or locally?  I do quite ok by
>word of mouth but am wondering why so little business from the Internet
>itself.

This is just my opinion, but I believe web site design and choosing
designers is a very personal relationship. People kinda, sorta want a web
site and they go looking to see what it would cost. It either costs more
than they anticipated, or the costs are not very clear -- either way,
they're *window shopping.*

I treat my web site as a glorified business card. An acquaintance tells
someone and they can go see what I've done, maybe get a few questions
answered, get a feel for who I am and how I work. Or, they've talked to me
and think it's too expensive so I tell them to go take a look around and
maybe your site is one they find.

I actually think I would probably have a heart attack if I ever received a
genuine inquiry that was completely unsolicited except via the web. I would
love to be wrong, but I just don't see it.

HTH!
Tamara