Re: Critique commercial site please

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Wed, 30 Aug 2000 07:55:59 -0500
 To:  "Devlin Peter W" <DevlinPeterW(at)JohnDeere.com>,
hwg-critique(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Peter,

>This is a secondary market site I've done. Owner wants it extremely simple
>(no java, order page, visa on line) so anyone with any browser can view it.
>It is supposed to have a 'comfortable come into my home' atmosphere and also
>be her outlet for expressing her sense of humor and love of animals (cats in
>particular).

You've hit the *home page* feel with it's length and also by having it at
Angelfire. Just a note though, Angelfire is less than reliable. I've heard
some complaints about that particular host. But, then, free hosts usually
are down from time-to-time. However, you lose the *homey* feel with most of
the graphics. A home page would most likely use standard clip art.
The site is http://www.angelfire.com/il/misssniff

>Given that, I still want it to be visually inviting, easy to navigate, and
>if you were interested in buying-could you easily know how to contact her
>regarding the item you wish to purchase?

I had a little trouble just finding items. The table on this page:
http://www.angelfire.com/il/misssniff/front.html was a guess as to where to
click to go to the products. When I did figure it out and go back, the
visited *link* was very difficult to read.

The chatty info at the top of this page:
http://www.angelfire.com/il/misssniff/misc.html did not lead me to believe
there would be products way down at the bottom.

The pages take a very, very long time to load. Probably because they are so
long. O.k., if I wanted the Lily of the Valley thing on the misc.html page,
how do I order it? I've clicked on each table cell and nothing's happening.

But, I do like your use of color and the graphics are very, very nice.

HTH,
Tamara