Re: Site Critique: http://www.usasportspick.com

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Thu, 26 Oct 2000 05:48:21 -0500
 To:  Adam Lau <adamlau(at)yahoo.com>,
hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Adam,

As you know, the page isn't real great in NN -- I'm using 4.5 and there's a
lot of horizontal and vertical scroll. I didn't look too closely at your
code, but I'm going to guess the cellpadding and cell widths are being
interpreted literally by NN. Try adding borders to your tables to see where
they're falling and adjust from there. I think I read on one of these lists
that NN will also add the *invisible* widths of cellpadding and cellspacing
to your table widths.

I'm also going to have to at least partially agree with your friends and
advisors. It does not look real professional, but I don't think you have to
run out and do it in flash. For one thing, fix that pyramid at the top.
SportsPick is the smallest thing, but I think it's supposed to be the first
thing people see and remember. The first thing I really saw was *A woman's
right to choose* (that was the ad being served when I visited). Now,
whether or not that's important is irrelevant, except you didn't do the
site for Naral.

I think you could do a lot with the logo to spruce up the overall look of
the site. Make it bigger, set it sideways a little, cut it into the blue
navigation menu to really emphasize the USA part. There are image programs
that let you build one big graphic, set stuff sideways, do some color
cut-outs, transfers, and then slice it up into manageable pieces. I'm not
usually big on graphics (and I'm usually not very good either), but I think
you could do a lot there.

Shrink that yellow cell and the type size a little, valign=top for that
first, right-hand table and try to get more SportsPick stuff at the top.
Sponsors are good, yes, but they're not what the site is about.

Good luck,
Tamara