Re: DJDatabase homepage

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Thu, 09 Nov 2000 12:50:58 -0600
 To:  "Nick Doylend" <ndoylend(at)hashishin.net>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Nick,

I went to the site and didn't have my speakers on. Do you have sound there too?

The flash did take a while to load and I'm not sure you really need the
effect with the way you have it laid out now.

I don't get the background on that main flash page. Your links are huge,
but the mouseovers work nicely. I really like your DJD logo -- that is
very, very nice.

I'm on Win95, 800x600, 45k or so dial-up, NN 4.5 -- Wow, those words above
the DJ registration form are REALLY BIG and, with the dark blue background,
the black type is still hard to read. On the portfolio page -- I like the
link colors, those show up nicely.

You may want to reconsider your frames. I just clicked a *book* link off
the portfolio page -- perhaps you should try it too. I think if you tried,
you could do this with tables and SSIs. The very bottom portion may be
difficult, but most of it would work pretty well, I think, in a table
rather than a frameset. Now, I know there are those that hate, despise,
loathe frames, but in some circumstances, I do believe they are a good
thing. But, you are dealing with two disparate audiences -- the DJs and
their potential clients. This may not be the best place for a frame-heavy
presentation.

As far as your query about adding DJs -- there are form processors such as
the one at http://www.bignosebird.com/ that may be able to offer some help.
This form processor will write to a file that could be imported into MS
Access. It's not ideal, but could be a short-term solution until you get
perl and/or php running and writing to a database like MySQL (which is
where I'm heading one of these days).

Good luck!
Tamara