Re: Site Review

by katsuey <katsuey(at)katsuey.com>

 Date:  Fri, 07 Jul 2000 00:19:04 -0500
 To:  carole(at)designs.com
 Cc:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:05 PM 07/06/2000 -0600, Carole A. Gay wrote:

>A question?  Why is the Location nav button sitting beside the Local
>specials rather than in line with the others?

A weird thing not showing up in IE 5.0 or NN 4.6 but showing in Mac and now=
=20
apparently Opera and I think  NN 4.7 also.  Anyhow, it was not the intent,=
=20
so I've thrown in some transparent spacer which hopefully have fixed the=20
problem.

>You do have the right idea, here but, expansion would make this much
>more exciting and inviting.  Perhaps an embossed Pizza Hut logo, in a
>pale yellow, perhaps bricked (no other colors) as the background.  I
>have a site that is no where near ready for critique yet, with a
>background done this way, for an idea.  It's at
>http://designs.com/KATS/kats_home.html.

PizzaHut has rules about its logo including not altering the image, having=
=20
blank space the width of the Z around it, etc.

>I would also remove most of the white space you've allowed between the
>nav bar and the menus.  Give some of it to the right side of the page.
>The prices are nearly off the page as it is currently laid out and in
>some cases, wrap around, leaving the dollar sign on one line and the
>amount on the next.

Site was designed for 640 px based on client demand. Any less "white space"=
=20
in 640 causes an overlap in the navigation images and the table according=20
to my client (who is on AOL to boot) The menu table was built stretchy so=20
that it should stretch with monitor sizes.

>You  have your images overlapping the text on the credit card
>information on the bottom of the main page, text and link on the P&M
>menu page, the d&a menu page, etc, when viewed in NN.  However, in
>Opera, the overlap problem disappears and the scroll bar for right and
>left comes into play.  With such a large amount of real estate available
>on my screen, I should not need to scroll.

Hmmmm.  Again, I heard this from MAC people and therefore added spacers=20
between the main table and the copyright information.  Wonder why the Opera=
=20
problem.

>I would also suggest that the Pizza Hut logo be more prominent, across
>all pages.  And, as others have suggested already, get some very happy
>folks, consuming their favorite pizza, onto the site.

I hear you but with 640 px width to work with, there was no room for happy=
=20
people.  I had the images ready to go and decided to forgo them because it=
=20
was not working well.

>  Perhaps you might
>want to use some of your existing images in the title areas, to make the
>pages more enticing.  Certainly, enlarge the food images.

The larger food images are mid to bottom range on various pages, the=20
purpose being #1 spacing and #2 load.

>The food,
>rather than the text, should attract your attention, in this case.  Make
>your visitor "smell" the food. :)

I hear you!

>Anyway, these are my observations.  Sorry to sound so negative, because
>this is a really great beginning.

I appreciate your time to look at the site and provide your thoughts=20
Carole! Thanks.
           ((( =B8.-=B7=B7=B7- ^~~ ^
            (         {>=AAY=AA<}
Katsuey's Legal Gateway