Re: New site

by Liz Bartlett <khyri(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Thu, 24 Jan 2002 15:01:34 -0800
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 04:44 PM 1/24/02 -0500, Craig T. Harding wrote:
>I, personally wouldn't be willing to let a client degrade a Website one drop
>if it meant them losing one sale to the 99% of the visitors in order to
>accommodate accessibility issues... and certainly wouldn't take into account
>image-off users unless it means meeting W3C standards, which we try to do.
>... just my opinion.

I think we're losing site of where this came from. The
original requestor had ALT text for her images on her inside
pages, so she clearly is aware of the issues.

The problem was an all-image front page, with no ALT text.
Adding ALT text increases accessibility, without "degrading"
the web site. Making some of the images into CSS-styled text
instead adds accessibility, aids download time and improves
search engine performance too (which she was conserned about).

Just to add fuel to the fire (not that it needs it), we're a two-person
"images-off-unless-we-need-them" household due to high usage over
a shared 56K modem connection. We may not be typical, but we exist.
As do those using screen readers. I know definitive numbers for
those relying on ALT text are not available, and if you really
want to debate the issue further, I suggest joining one of the many
accessible web design discussion lists.

<plug>
http://access.idyllmtn.com/d201/
</plug>

Anyway, I am of the opinion that the original poster doesn't need to
be convinced of the need for ALT text - she just needed the reminder
that one of her pages lacked it. As she had ALT text on other pages,
we would appear to be arguing to the converted.

--Liz