Re: RE: Site for cririque - take 2

by Steven W Loney <steve(at)thewebguy.ca>

 Date:  Sat, 11 May 2002 20:56:37 -0500
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello All...

Well, guess I could continue this thread as one of the negative critiques
of those buttons was mine.

At 08:05 AM 5/7/2002 -0700, Carole Gay wrote:
>Hi Everybody,
>
>Well, guess I need to answer this question, since it's my class.

>Hmmm, do you know how to validate your sites?  Do you believe in
>Standards? Shouldn't we promote them?

Hmmm, let's not make assumptions regarding knowledge/opinions NOT expressed
in a critique.

I don't recall anyone disparaging the actual standards themselves. The
belief that the display of these buttons on a commercial web site is
inappropriate for the stated reasons does NOT indicate a lack of support
for the actual standards,  does NOT indicate that someone is unaware of how
to validate a site and does NOT indicate an unawareness of "what they are
for or why they are used".

>The ONLY reason for using them is to demonstrate W3C compliance and
>support for Standards.  If you don't know
>what they are for or why they are used, perhaps you should take some
>classes, particularly the Accessibility class
>offered by the IWG/HWG.  The icons for these are much more valuable than
>all those "download this plug-in" and
>"buy this product" ever were or will be!

Support of the standards is a good idea. The best demonstration of that
support in a commercial web site for whatever standards are in question
would be to actually meet those standards.

Promotion of the standards with visible buttons on a commercial web site
remains a poor idea.

Oh yah... I almost forgot... the reason that commercial web sites exist is
to display icons for "buy this product", "request your quote", "chat with a
sales rep now", etc, etc.

Steve