Re: Back to top links

by Steven W Loney <steve(at)thewebguy.ca>

 Date:  Tue, 18 Jun 2002 11:57:51 -0500
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:40 PM 6/17/2002 -0700, you wrote:
 >In a list of products, should I include Back-to-top links to take the
 >user back to the top of the page?

In general my opinion is that 99.9999% of the pages I have viewed with
"back-to-the-top" links are poorly designed.

How long is the page? Your short note appears to indicate that the page is
so long, that people will scroll down, and then you are worried that they
won't want to scroll back up. If your concern is that the visitor is so far
from the navigation when they scroll down keep the navigation in a non
scrolling frame. If your concern is that it's just a really really long
page then rethink the manner in which content is delivered and shorten the
page.

Without a link constructive feedback is difficult.

fwiw
Steve