Re: Website Critique

by Steven W Loney <steve(at)thewebguy.ca>

 Date:  Tue, 30 Jul 2002 06:29:24 -0500
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
As I wander I'll make point form notes.

The flash 6 upgrade pop ups are extremely, I say again extremely annoying.
I have to say no twice just to get the home page to load. I don't see
anything in your flash that can't be done publishing it as 4 or 5. I
believe the latest stats are that only 30-40% of visitors will have 6
installed whereas it's 90+% with 5 or 4.
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/survey/whitepaper/page11.html#appendixI

I was surprised at the comment about alt tags and text only browsers....
who would visit a site presenting visual art with a text only browser ? ? ?

I find the home page somewhat busy... too much text... you don't yet know
why I have arrived and there's all this content you want me to read. Most
of the planet is still viewing at 800600 and home pages should not scroll
at that res. Move most of the text inside the site.

You've got this very nice set of fades as the feature graphic... and I
wonder what the purpose of slice_lady.jpg is...

The quick gallery links should  open pop up windows sized to frame the
artwork...

Let's pretend I'm a visitor to the site... what I see excites me... and I
am looking to commission work for the corporate board room, whatever... why
can't I telephone the artist to discuss it...

I don't know how you pitch your services to prospective clients... but if
marketing expertise is a big part of it... placing a link to your own site
on a client's site really dilutes your credibility... and replacing the
client site with your own in the same window just adds insult to injury.
The client site is all about the client's business and only the client's
business... period.

out of time
Steve