Re: [HWG Critique] email subjects

by Collette McNeill <collette(at)mlwebworks.com>

 Date:  Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:17:06 -0700
 To:  Kae Verens <kverens(at)contactjuggling.org>,
hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Kae, quoted:
>I think it's evident from the other replies on the list that "advanced"
>filter usage is not the solution - it should be clear before opening an
>email where the email came from.

Why do you think To: and From: headers don't do this already?
If you're using Outlook, and you don't want to learn how to use your
filters, you can add the to: column to your message preview pane (right
click on a column header, choose "add column") and bingo, you know without
opening a message where the email came from. You can even squish that
column width to take up less space than "[HWG Critique]" and still
determine which list the message belongs to.

My biggest objection to your request is that I hate long subject lines. My
web-based mail client would cut off the USEFUL part of the subject line,
and my laptop's screen resolution doesn't let me extend the subject field
but so far.  Maybe the list owner can pick a shorter tag than [HWG Critique].

Anyway, your suggestion, which affects us all (and six 'me too's isn't a
majority), would be an imposition on me and the list manager, while my
suggestion helps you learn to use your mail client more productively. Both
would solve your problem, but mine will *also* solve your problem with any
other list you belong to or class of mail you receive.  I understand that
you'd have to invest a few minutes into setting up filters and/or arranging
the layout of your mail client, but afterwards you'll wonder what you ever
did without them.

If anyone on this list needs help configuring their mail clients, please
feel free to write me with your problem and I will gladly, gladly help.
I've got several years' experience in desktop & network support and
administration with several applications in Linux, Mac, and Windows
operating systems.

Collette