Re: Music on Business Sites

by sixten(at)4u.net

 Date:  Wed, 4 Nov 1998 05:28:48 -0500 (EST)
 To:  HWG Critique List <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

I'm not so very fond of background music on a site, myself, at least if it starts automatically.

 ---- you wrote:
> What do y'all think about music (with on/off switch) on business
> sites (that are not music related in theme)? This is a site that
> would probably attract a fair number of people on AOL and web tv....
> Personally, I think it is a bad idea, but have a client who is
> enamored with it. Any sources of actual articles or stats that would
> support me also appreciated. If I'm crazy, tell me...
> --

If your client wants music on the site, it's his/her business. You can tell your opinion about it, but he/she is the one who makes the decision. But try at least to persuade him/her to have the music off at the beginning, otherwise I (and many more with me) will hit the back button in record time.

If the site is of the type where you stay long on a page, the music can have some function, but if you jump from one page to another every ten seconds, it's no use to 'burden' it with music.

You are not crazy,
Sixten
---
E-mail: sixten(at)4u.net
URL   : http://come.to/sixten
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil
 is for good men to do nothing."
 - Edmund Burke