Re: Please critique Baker Street - my site at GeoCities.

by "Robin S. Socha" <r.socha(at)control-risks.de>

 Date:  23 Jun 1998 21:45:50 +0200
 To:  Credo999 <credo999(at)hotmail.com>
 Cc:  "Hwg-Critique (E-mail)" <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
* Credo999  <credo999(at)hotmail.com> writes:

> There has been a fair amount of flaming recently which has made me
> reluctant to ask for my second critique on my site, Baker
> Street. But there's nothing like the present as they say...  Baker
> Street is at GeoCities and it is purely for entertainment. The big
> boys will deplore the fact that the music starts without the surfers
> permission (awful!)

Did I mention the fact that that the music starts without my
permission? Awful...

> but they can turn it off if they don't like it. :^).

Sure. I also turned off NN 3.04 because the CSS stuff crept into the
page: NN4.05, Linux, 1600x1200x32.

> Anyway, navigation, layout and load time are key points as well as
> interest: so if you liked cats how long would you hang around?

Let's see... 21:25

1. Cookies. I *hate* cookies, dammit.
2. Slow load, ~2.1kb with ISDN and a ping on your site.
3. Animated gifs? Ick. Slow, slow, and slowly getting on my nerves...
4. Backgrounds set for 1024. I got a throng of cats cutting the text
   in halves.
5. *argh* Stop loading, page. DO it. Now! Ummm... 120k
   graphics. *sigh*
6. Another 88k. But still no cats. You need to cut down the colour
   depth on those graphics...
7. Ok, let's forget Heathcliffe and check (*argh* cookies and midi
   getting in my way again...) the quotes... More graphics. Font size
   too small. Background clashing with the blue of the text. 193k
   graphics?  *urgh*
   <http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/7262/d-tiger.gif> is
   pretty neat...
8. "Courtyard"? This beige is getting me pretty depressed... How come
   the links at the bottom are different on every page? For the first
   time in my life, I want frames...
9. holmes.html... 63k for 10 lines of text... Nope...

Ok, it's 21:40. I spent 15 minutes on your site, mainly because of
the slow load. Fix those graphics. The javascript on the links makes
navigating pretty complicated. Those cookies were unnerving, too. But
first of all, I would work on the naviation - it's not really easy to
surf your site.

> I appreciate any constructive criticism.

Uh-oh... Ummm... it's pretty neat and the code looks good.

Gotta go, there's a Siberian and a Burmese crying for food.

Robin

--
Robin S. Socha M.A.
Control Risks Ltd. <http://www.crg.com/>