Re: Tell me what you think

by Michael_Beane(at)umit.maine.edu (Michael Beane)

 Date:  Tue, 1 Sep 1998 18:54:45 -0400
 To:  J2993(at)aol.com
 Cc:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
J2993(at)aol.com,.Internet writes:
>Can you tell me what you think of my site.  I am willing to take any
>ammount
>of abuse.  My site is http://www.fortunecity.com/underworld/mud/725

First:  What day in Feb?  I'm on the 3rd

ObKb, here I go:

1)  Unless I'm mistaken, you should check out the following URL on the
usage of the HWG Logo.
	http://www.hwg.org/services/logo/index.html

	"1a. Use of Logo to indicate membership.
               When used on a member's personal site, the HWG Logo must
be
               accompanied by the following text or an allowed
variation, as indicated
               below:
                                 The author is a member of....."
	Your logo has no mention of "the author is..." on it.

2) Still on the usage kick for some reason:
	I'm not sure if the ADVERTISING page,with the offering of banner
advertisements for a fee tips on the border of this, found at
	http://www.fortunecity.com/guidelines.html

            "No commercial pages promoting or describing any kind of
business."

3)  The background looked like I was running 256 color mode while I was
in High Color.  This appeared at both 800 and 1024 resolution.
Jokingly, ALT-TAB-ing off the page, I think I saw a stereogram in there
somewhere.

4)  The advertising banners are hidden in the upper frame at 800x600
and requires scrolling to view them all.  Maybe move them down to the
main viewing frame (eliminating the upper frame altogether)?  This
would give alot more viewing room, and yes, would create a bit more
upkeep on your end when switching banners.  Setting a banner size for
advertisers to use and then generically entering a banner name in that
spot would only mean changing the banner file each time.  Something to
ponder.

5) The nav menu was really cluttered by the news section at the bottom.
 Perhaps moving the news to the initial viewing page?  It seemed
important enough to be in plain view, IMO.

6)  The white borders around the menu pics are somewhat distracting.
Try making the edges transparent.

7) The HOME button produces a whole new set of frames within the main
frame.  I had this problem when I first started framing.  Try placing
the the link with a  target setting  (<A HREF="../index.html"
target="_parent">) or something.  The third attempt at HOME in a row
killed IE4 (Which isn't a bad thing ;-P)
	After looking at the source, I noticed you had the <BASE
target="MAIN-WINDOW"> set, and then followed on to set the target on
all the links except the home button.  This is fairly redundant, and
can save you coding time in the future to go with one or the other.

8) Loved the awards section
	3) Your site cannot contain the word Hanson  <G>

Hope that helps a little.  Off to study something not interesting.
College..self paid abuse?   (Can't tell I'm having a bad night, can
you?)
Good luck,
Mike

Mike Beane