Re: site redesign

by Michael_Beane(at)umit.maine.edu (Michael Beane)

 Date:  Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:56:20 -0400
 To:  iris777888(at)hotmail.com
 Cc:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I need comments to help me with an upcoming redesign. My site is
>located at http://www.angelfire.com/ia/woden/ It is the site for the
>small town (250 people) I grew up in. Keep these things in mind
>please as you look for things to comment on-

Hi Heather :)

	I'm waiting for a download, so I figured I'd use the time to check out
a site and yours popped up just as I looked.  So here I go:

--------

time (I'm connected at 48.3), it loaded fairly well.  You may want to
give the air shot of Woden a height & width to give it room to d/l.
It's a little big at 67k, but it seems to be a good touch.

	"Woden was first called Bingham..."  My great-grandfather helped
settle a town named Bingham up where in Maine.

	I like the header graphics.

My Suggestions:

	Intro page-  	One of the first things that caught my eye was "Woden is
a small town that will be celebrating their centennial in 1999."  This
sounds a little funny (read it aloud).  Possibly "Woden is a small town
that will be celebrating its centennial in 1999." would help a little?
(Sorry, english 212 on the brain..end of the semester..)  Also, drop a
space in "Make your plans for the Centennial now with the
tentativeCentennial Schedule!" on the intro page.

	History Page-  Maybe use a menu to correllate the data?

	Businesses-   If I knew my business name was on the WWW, I might want
my number too!  (Heck, maybe a little advertisement money for a
description too, just an idea....)

-----------

	I liked the site.  Given the style of the town that is portrayed, the
simple & clean format seems to fit it well.  It loads very nicely on
the majority of pages.

	Good luck with it and have a fun Centennial :)

Sincerely,
Michael Beane
Technology Consultant
UMSG, Inc.